Johnson Model B Band Saw Rebuild.

Keep at it. I was glad to see the update as this is an interesting saw with unique issues. Looking forward to seeing it all figured out.

Got some parts cleaned up today, and put others in to rust removal. Once cleaned I have found that some parts are R XX and some are BXX and some are Jxx Almost like they took pars from all to make this. But still looking at some parts as do not have a good read on all the parts. May have to find someone to make a few for me, I will post other threads for them.
Hope to start ordering some of parts this week. (gears for the gearbox).

Well got more parts out of the molasses soak. That stuff does good. But one thing, It will strip Zinc off, it will eat Pot metal, and some times it turn cast blue like you ran a lite bluing across it.
Problem was is that it was so humid that the surface rust would start as you blow the water off. At least the heavy rust is gone. will do the final sanding and prime it starting tomorrow.
Some of the parts have been ordered, gears should be here next week I hope.

Got the new gears in and started clean up of the shafts etc. you can tell the difference if the gears both worm and bronze were somewhat different.
Next will be getting the bearings and getting the gear box back together20160525_201217.jpg . 20160525_201241.jpg 20160525_201250.jpg

well got a little bit more done on the band saw, should have gotten more pictures onit. But most is cleaned derusted and painted.
20160530_100954.jpg
Here is the base and vice redone, Took a little to get all of this back together as it is where you can set the vice in 3 different positions to accept different size material. Did some shims on the shaft to take up some of the slack and give it a better surface to turn on.
20160530_101016.jpg
As you can tell I did not refinish the top as good as I wanted to but it is kind of blued from the cleaning and stuff so I left it.
20160606_192054.jpg 20160606_192108.jpg 20160606_192122.jpg
As you can see the gear box is back where the gears actually meat properly. Have all the sides plates and seals on it now.
painting it and should be mounting it back in the system tomorrow.
20160606_192153.jpg 20160606_192224.jpg 20160606_192311_2.jpg 20160606_192328.jpg 20160606_192338.jpg
This is just a bunch of pictures of what it looks like compared to what it started out as. Still have a few items to finish. before I can get a blade back on it.
then have to start looking at motor etc.. Also looking at what I can set up for auto cut off and things like that.
Also have to get the hydraulic cylinder finished up. (thanks to 4gsr for doing a new shaft as they do not make this hydraulic system any longer and would have had to replace the whole thing.

The saw is really looking good. Should serve you well for a long time to come. Nice job. Mike

Well a bit farther, Have gotten the gear box back on, the Old motor on with the old pulleys, and put the old blade back on it.
Still have to finish up the hydraulics and properly wire up switch, shutoff, etc. But may not work like that if I can figure out how to set up the treadmill motor and controller on it, and build a shut off switch where it will shut off when done. 20160610_193456.jpg

But had to give it a try, first cuts the blade came off, did not have all the adjustments set properly,
Finally got it all adjusted and squared with a proper machinist square. I must have been pretty good, as the first cut after that was to square up the end of the material. That I checked with the machinist square and was a few ridges from the cut, but was flat all the way around. So I cut off another small slice and still squared. 20160610_193514.jpg
the one on the right is the first cut off to square it. The one on the left is the one that I cut off last.

Ok, Took the head for the Hydraulic cylinder and bored out the hole as it was worn, Put a bushing in, then seal on the top, sealed up and painted. Hope tomorrow to get some new bolts, and get it mounted on the lathe. Then filled with fluid and tested out.

Looks like I will not be doing the Treadmill conversion at this time, have not figured out how to make the MC-2100 controller work without the full control head. So I will prob take the original motor and clean it up.

Ok, got the hydraulic cylinder on and tested. It works great. Just a little turn and it shuts off and holds the head up. Then you can crack it just a little and it will take all day to go down to a full open that just smooth's out the rate. Does seem to cut soft stuff a little better without packing up the teeth.

Just received a MC 60 control board today, has a pot, and am waiting on relay, and momentary switches to use for control of power.
Will then be looking at the pulley to see what I want to do.
Fun part is the two treadmill motors are clock wise rotation and the original motor is counter clockwise.
but first is getting the wiring and circuit figured out, then get the pulley setup figured out so I can do the mounts.

20160620_184850.jpg 20160620_184914.jpg 20160620_184943.jpg
as you can see I have been cutting some steel and some Aluminum with it. Have to make a new chip tray, brush setup and if possible a fluid setup.
QUestion if I set up a system for cutting fluid, how do I separate the garbage out of the cutting fluid to return to a tank to reuse it. I know there has to be some way to do it. without to much trouble.

Back