Joined the Rhodes family

cs900

maker of chips
Registered
Hi all,
I, much like a lot of you i'm guessing, have a problem with buying tools I don't really need. But I've been fascinated by shapers since I saw my first video of one doing it's thing. Any ways, one popped up on the 'ol marketplace that was only a few hours away and was super cheap. One thing lead to another and I ended up with this little Rhodes 7" shaper.
OUqTyhj.jpg

SN2249
yiq7rj3.jpg

It came with the stand, rotary vice and an internal post style tool holder. It worked ok when I got it, other than the leather belt it came with kept slipping and someone at some point had installed the little knuckle that the head locks down on in reverse so the stroke was biased WAY forward. I ended up remachining the pulleys for a standard serpentine belt which solved the slipping issue.
noqOCFR.jpg

So being completely new to shapers in general, I have a few questions. The first, is not such a big deal, but minorly annoying. Any time I engage the power feed it just sits there moving the handle back and forth without ratcheting. I can hold the handle and force it to ratchet and it will eventually work. I think there's some backlash in the screw causing this, but I didn't know if there's some adjustment I'm missing.

The second is a bit more perplexing. I'm not sure if there is excessive play at the head's gibs or what, but anytime I make a cut the beginning of the cut is very wavy.
c4dq2Ab.jpg

The cut looks great after the tool "settles" into the cut. Doesn't seem to matter if it's a heavy cut or light, I always get some degree of irregularity at the beginning of the stroke. Any suggestions on things I should be looking at?

I so would love to find a shaper at a cheap price. Zero need for one but the cool factor alone. Great score. Have fun with that bad boy.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Welcome to the Rhodes club. On my Rhodes, tool angles definitely have an effect on that. I haven't had much time to play with it and grinding tools, but it sure comes in handy.

yeah, i admittedly haven't played with it too much and have just used some standard lathe tools I have kicking around, but they are sharp at least.

Any time I engage the power feed it just sits there moving the handle back and forth without ratcheting.
This is a pretty common problem — try tightening the nut(s) on the opposite end of the table lead screw. If there’s not enough drag there the screw just rocks back and forth without clicking the pawls on the ratchet, but a little more tension on the screw should take care of it.

-frank

well that certainly fixed it. Thank you. While i was in adjusting things I tightened up the gibs on the clapper box adjustment. That seems to have fixed the surface finish issue I was having as well.
yYaFAS0.jpg

Can't wait to really play around with this now. I need a project for it now.

Here's a project for you. People LOVE these as gifts! Christmas is coming! BTW, I love my Rhodes!

Ted

Back