Joining the Takisawa club!!

Did you use body filler after stripping it, or just accept how it would look. I can't tell from the pictures how smooth the finish is. And how on earth did you get rid of ALL the oil and grease? Seems like that stuff would have soaked into the existing filler and been impossible to get out completely.
I decided to use the guys that some of the machinery dealers use. 600 bucks, which was a lot for me but after the fact i would say it was a great deal.

They started with cleaning and degreasing. Then wire wheels, neddle scraper, sanding to mostly bare metal, clean and a coat if primer, then filler, sand, Prime again, more filler, then clean prime paint. 830am to 3pm.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Agree that the price is a deal considering the alternative: doing it yourself.

I decided to use the guys that some of the machinery dealers use. 600 bucks, which was a lot for me but after the fact i would say it was a great deal.

They started with cleaning and degreasing. Then wire wheels, neddle scraper, sanding to mostly bare metal, clean and a coat if primer, then filler, sand, Prime again, more filler, then clean prime paint. 830am to 3pm.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
That is a hell of a deal for 6-1/2 hrs of nasty, but what appears to be quality work. Looks great!

All that lead paint dust... shiver! You literally dodged a (powdered) bullet by farming the task out. Result sure looks nice. Stout lathe!

So you know how in conventional right to left threading, you cut the thread, back off the cross slide, move the carriage back and advance the compound for the next cut, but have to get the cross slide back to the exact position before the next cut? The Takisawa has a nice square groove along the left side of the cross slide, so I made a very simple adjustable threading stop, so that you can just move the cross slide back into the threading position until it hits the stop. The stop, in my case, bumps against a bracket that I was too lazy to cut short when I installed the DRO...kind of happy I didn't though, It's easy to make a bumper fixed somewhere on the far rail of the carriage, though. Lots of choices to mount to.

So it's adjust the stop as needed, run the cross slide up to it, advance the compound a few thousandth for the next cut, cut, stop the feed, back off the cross slide, move the carriage back to start position, run the cross slide in until the stop hits the bumper, advance compound, make the cut, etc.

If you are doing the Joe Pie threading technique, from left to right, you need a stop for the cross slide on the way out, instead of in.
I made a stop for that, too, that fits across the dovetails with a thumbscrew in the middle.

Threading stop 1.jpgthreading stop 2.jpg.

Looks great!

Farming out the paint refurb is genius! Wish I could have done that!

Looks great!

Farming out the paint refurb is genius! Wish I could have done that!
Thanks! It's not near as nice as when I've taken a machine completely apart and did a piece by piece restoration but it was a real time saver for sure. Im going to do a little touch up here and there and remove some overstay, but that's about it.

Right now I'm going to change the fluids and a little more cleaning where they didn't paint..like the rear of the apron...nice..

Attachments

• 1105192156.jpg
    1105192156.jpg
    741.2 KB · Views: 29
I am in the process of taking EVERYTHING apart - and taking pictures,, replacing any bearings / seals / whatnots that appear to be worn. I went through the electricals - will publish a (somewhat) proper wiring diagram. I am in the process of putting the apron back together.

One thing I found is that some of the small oil lines got clogged - I would suggest checking those. The old oil tends to clog somewhat and these lines are small - 2/3mm & 3/4 (ID / OD),and are important.

Sadly though, I am not setup / don't have the room to paint...

Ray

So you know how in conventional right to left threading, you cut the thread, back off the cross slide, move the carriage back and advance the compound for the next cut, but have to get the cross slide back to the exact position before the next cut? The Takisawa has a nice square groove along the left side of the cross slide, so I made a very simple adjustable threading stop, so that you can just move the cross slide back into the threading position until it hits the stop. The stop, in my case, bumps against a bracket that I was too lazy to cut short when I installed the DRO...kind of happy I didn't though, It's easy to make a bumper fixed somewhere on the far rail of the carriage, though. Lots of choices to mount to.

So it's adjust the stop as needed, run the cross slide up to it, advance the compound a few thousandth for the next cut, cut, stop the feed, back off the cross slide, move the carriage back to start position, run the cross slide in until the stop hits the bumper, advance compound, make the cut, etc.

If you are doing the Joe Pie threading technique, from left to right, you need a stop for the cross slide on the way out, instead of in.
I made a stop for that, too, that fits across the dovetails with a thumbscrew in the middle.

View attachment 305278View attachment 305279.
Great idea! Thanks!!

I am in the process of taking EVERYTHING apart - and taking pictures,, replacing any bearings / seals / whatnots that appear to be worn. I went through the electricals - will publish a (somewhat) proper wiring diagram. I am in the process of putting the apron back together.

One thing I found is that some of the small oil lines got clogged - I would suggest checking those. The old oil tends to clog somewhat and these lines are small - 2/3mm & 3/4 (ID / OD),and are important.

Sadly though, I am not setup / don't have the room to paint...

Ray

Ray, I see me bugging you a lot either here or email lol.

I'll have a lot of dumb questions im sure. For example....When i pull the oiler, oil goes out the tube above the half nuts, in the upper right of the apron where the pad thing is located and out a hole in the top left of the apron between the two bolts that mount the apron to the carriage...whats that last on for? I was thinking maybe that it fed oil up to the carriage...but there's no corresponding hole in the carriage. Maybe a video would make it easier to understand..lol
Jeff

Back