Just A Little Project Today

projectnut

Registered
Registered
This isn't a project the I intended to do, but rather a challenge from my wife. It was one of those "with all those machines in the shop you should be able to fix anything" statements.
Years ago I got hooked on a those cheapie hot lather machines from Conair. I had one for over 20 years but finally the plastic deteriorated to the point there was more duct tape on it than original material. I replaced it with a newer model, but have never been really happy with it. A couple weeks ago It would no longer dispense lather so I thought I'd look for one online. About the only ones available were what I currently have, and one like the one I had replaced. I was a bit shocked when I looked at the prices they were asking. What originally sold for less than $30.00 now had asking prices as high as $179.00. So it was off to the shop to meet the challenge.

I took the machine apart and it was fairly obvious the soft rubber part that was supposed to depress the valve in the shaving cream can had deformed to the point it wouldn't depress the valve no matter how much pressure was applied. I decided I'd make a small extension for the valve on the can from a piece of aluminum round stock.

I must admit it took longer than expected. The total job took over an hour. The first half an hour was spent looking through the stock to find just the right piece. The next 10 minutes was spent making a cup of coffee and carrying it back to the shop. Another 5 minutes was spent picking out the proper collets, and the final 15 minutes was actually spent making it on the lathe.

Here it is. The part has a total length of .240" The larger diameter is .200", .180" long, with a .157" hole extending .155" into the body. The smaller diameter is .157" in diameter, .060" long with an .067" hole through it. It was a trying and stressful afternoon. I'm exhausted to the point I'm going to need a nap.

Attachments

• IMG_1093A.jpg
    IMG_1093A.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1094A.jpg
    IMG_1094A.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Sometimes it's those little jobs that are the most satisfying. Hope you enjoy the nap. Mike

Back