Just acquired K&T #3 vertical

Nice machine, would love more pictures of it!
I think you'll be fine with the 1500 rpm limit.
My 2hl caps out at 1400 and I've run down to 3mm endmills just fine, just have to keep the feed low so you're still getting the right chip size.

I have a couple dozen pieces of nmtb50 tooling I would like to get rid of. If you are interested I could send some pictures. They would all be pretty cheap, but they are heavy stuff, so shipping might make it not worth your while.

I had a similar price issue when unloading my surface grinder. I needed about 5 minutes with a forklift, but could only rent by the day. I ended up spending $300 to have the guy drop off and pick up the forklift without leaving the driveway.

Fortunately, I was able to convince him to just do the driving of the forklift himself, so from his perspective it was: "Drive off trailer, pick grinder out of F250 bed, drop in place in garage, drive back onto trailer".

Just got the mill unload into the garage today. Here's a few pictures of the process. The local rental places don't seem to stock high capacity all terrain forklifts, so I had to go with the premium cost of a boom forklift. Ouch. Oh well, never drove one of these before, was kinda fun.
IMG_3592.JPGIMG_3598.JPG

Here's a few more picture of it sitting in the garage. Still needs to be moved into place. Well, temporary place. The garage is really intended for working on vehicles, the workshop is just stuffed too full of toys. I'll probably replace the accurite DRO with a 4 axis DRO Pro model at some point. Need to recover from purchase and lift rental first.

IMG_3601.JPG

Ways on the top of the knee. Moore pattern scraping visible.

IMG_3602.JPG

Here's a picture of the head in the fully lowered position.
IMG_3600.JPG

The chart here is pretty cool. You probably need to open it too a full size image to see it.

IMG_3603.JPG

IMG_3604.JPG
IMG_3605.JPG
IMG_3606.JPG
IMG_3607.JPG
IMG_3618.JPG

The wiring includes some spliced in 18awg wire (maybe 16? hard to read small print on greasy wires) between the contactor and the motor. That is going to have to get replaced. Haven't cleaned off the motor dataplate yet, but I was told it is a 7.5HP motor (10HP was standard for this model/year). I'm going to need to make some big T-nuts, looks like 1.25 inch base, didn't have a calipers handy since this isn't the working shop.IMG_3622[1].JPGIMG_3624[1].JPG.

Hopefully this gives everyone interested a few pictures. My Hughesnet satellite internet isn't up to posting the rest of them.

Such a beautiful machine, looks to be in great shape!

In my first post I said 7.5HP. Here’s the motor data plate
View attachment 357815

That says 10hp. Glad I’m running 20hp idler RPC
Full load amps of that motor is a bit over 26 amps. Through 16 or 18awg wire. Yikes.
For those following along, the truck driver said the boom lift pictured earlier weighed 34,500lbs. I never did extend the boom more than about 8’, but it is a 55’ boom fully extended, I was probably around 30ft max.

Picked up a K&T 16" rotary table on a trip through Illinios. Got a few interesting looks from the seller when I told him I was driving a Ford Fusion, and wanted to put it behind the driver's seat, but he happily drove his forklift to extend a fork into the back passenger area. (It weighs probably near 250lbs?). Looks to be in excellent condition, but will be taking it apart for a full cleaning and paint job.

Last edited:
Back