[Newbie] Just Bought My First Mill--

Bob V

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi,
A bit of background: I like all kinds of mechanical-type trades. I'm retired and started farming 4 years ago, and have a farm shop with tools to work on my tractor and other farm equipment, cars, and trucks.
--I have been getting any metalwork I needed done by a neighbor machinist, but I want to try it myself. I remember (long ago!) I got to run a metal lathe a little in high school shop and it amazed me. Other than this, I don't know anything about machining (unless you count reloading precision ammo for long range shooting).
Anyways, I just bought a Van Norman #16 mill. It's missing the motorized table translation parts, and also the seller is keeping the Kurt vise, but otherwise seems "tight", no rust, and I can run it manually for now.
I just moved the mill to my shop last week and haven't even wired it up yet.
Question: should I be taking the mill apart to clean the ways, surfaces etc. or should I just lube it well, adjust out backlash (I think this is possible with this mill) and start "making chips"?

If it does what you ask of it and nothing seems to be binding, grinding, or howling then I'd just use it. I had to decide the same thing when I got my mill but after inspection I decided to just oil her up and use her. Now, with my SB lathe it was obvious she needed a good cleaning and refurbing.

I would look it over, lube it up, and if everything moves properly then fire it up and make chips! If the back lash is not excessive, I wouldn't even worry about that. Maybe get your neighbor to come by and take a look.

Check the oil color on the ways. If it's dark from dirt or the ways show scratches or any unwanted wear it's best to take her apart to clean.
If you have fine grit in there it will be impossible to flush out the dirt with more oil and further use just causes more wear.
Also, you'll not be able to adjust the gibs correctly.

Thanks guys! Very helpful.
I will ask my neighbor/machinist to come over and look at the machine.
--And I'll see if oil is dark -etc.
Another Question: really related also to keeping the machine clean: I weld (very dirty process!!) in the shop and it is a "farm shop" -- so it is inevitable that there is dust/dirt settling on everything-- do you guys suggest I cover the mill when it's not being used?

Throwing a tarp over it can't hurt and it will keep it cleaner.

Hi Vanderlinde,

Congratulations on the new equipment! It will really expand the capabilities of your shop.

It sounds like you are very mechanically inclined so you should feel very comfortable with it in a very short time.
When the inevitable questions do surface, please ask them here.
There are some very knowledgeable people that are very generous with their time and experience.
I have learned much from wading thru all the varied discussions.

For Q1: strip and clean versus just start using; For me it depends on when it was last used and where/how it was stored. As others have said a good inspection will help decide.

For Q2: I like the tarp idea too if it's a dusty workshop. Just beware how flammable some tarps can be.....watch those welding sparks.

Be safe and have fun.
-brino

Back