Just Bought Old Rf-31 Clone Need Some Help

seanb

Registered
Registered
Bought a old Buffalo tools Rf-31 copy. I have taken the table apart and oiled it. When I started on the top I discovered a few things
The mill is pretty noisey. The pulley on motor is loose when I took it off I discovered It was cracked and had been rewelded. I think its out of round.

I have a Lathe I can use to work on it or should I buy a new one.

Also The spindle does not appear to be attached to the pulley I have about 1/4" of play is this normal should I disassemble the head

How do I oil the spindle? Theres a grease fitting on the bottom but know its to be used with oil from what I have read.

This appears to be heavier built than the normal RF-31 Its a made in Tiawan machine
R8 spindle

I got the mill an enco vise and a heavy steel stand for $400

IMG_0228.JPG IMG_0245.JPG IMG_0246.JPG IMG_0248.JPG IMG_0249.JPG IMG_0250.JPG

That's a very nice price!
I had a RF-30. She was a "gate-way" mill for me. Got me going on old iron.
I'll never diss an import. They've got their foibles just like the 70 year old iron do. Just different foibles.
Consider starting with a completely new pulley. Depending on the size of your lathe, and available time, and interest you might want to make one out of 6061.
However, after confirming it's aluminum, you can certainly weld her up and turn her round.
Eh gad, I've done that!
Works well. Glad I had my four jaw so I could dial in the shaft, as I didn't want her out of round relative to the shaft.
Someday I'll buy/make a balancer that's likely where I need to go....
Please keep us posted!
Nice find.

Incidentally, I really respect the pink machine skate in IMG_0250.jpg
Never to early to break in a shop gnome.
My daughters still remember me teaching them to count by asking them to hand me three screws of the box of screws they were holding.

Daryl
MN

Well I bored out the pulley brazed an insert in place and drilled it out again it still wobbles the same so I accomplished nothing there. Maybe I should have bored it to size instead of drilling. I found an old cast iron adjustable pulley and used that instead. That pulley has basically no runout so my mill is much quieter. Also put on a link belt. Changing speeds is a real pain so I am planning on using a 3 ph motor with a vfd. I already have the motor ordered.
Took my first cut with an endmill in mild steel was cutting really nice, I was running it too fast and burned it up quickly. I plan on using inserts which is what I do on the lathe.

Back