Just breaking into Machining. Very green. Need advice.

Oh I aint saying so much those are the 3 types of machinist. Thats the 3 types of students.

Point being, a man who has interest and passion in a subject and knows how he needs to learn, can learn anything and do it well.

He may hate it in 2 months. But for those 2 months, he will out learn anyone around him.

Thanks for all the replies! You have all been most helpful.

If I were to follow a career path that I know that I'm naturally inclined to do, I'd be an accountant. But the thing is, I know for a fact that I'd hate it.

I'm going to do what it takes to learn. I'll ask for help if I need it. Starting Monday I have Intro to Machining and Engine Lathe. Thank you all and wish me luck.

Any discipline will have it's share of jargon, and yes it can be learned, it just takes a little bit of exposure. Don't be afraid to ask questions if something doesn't make sense. All too often people who have been doing something for a long time forget that this stuff isn't common knowledge. You are lucky enough to have found a class, and that will make things easier, as you will have an expert who's job it is to teach you ;)

The main thing to keep in mind when learning is SAFETY! Skills come with time, as long as you have all your fingers.

All natural ability does is that it makes it easier to learn. Practice is what makes it come out right. Any time you start learning something new, you will have to take some time to get up to speed on the terminology. Especially when you come up against things that are common words but have a specific meaning in some field.

Yea it was the terminology and not necessarily the machines themselves that had me confused looking through the book. Once explained and shown to me, I have a reasonably good feel for how things operate. But some of that jargon might as well have been written in Japanese. Either way, I'm very excited. Thank you all for the insight. As far as natural ability goes, i'll have to wait and see. It's good to know that i don't necessarily have to have it to learn.

Back