Just finished my lathe radius and ball turner

That's what this hobby and sites like this one are all about... sharing ideas. :) Glad you like it!

Ted

Playing with Fusion 360 and decided to share this exploded view.

Ted
View attachment 239721
Did you key the shaft (quill) to the handle collar to keep it from sliping? I like the Aloris compatibility. That big long spindle is an awesome feature. I suspect that's the reason for little chatter and nice surface finish.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Now, I going to have to look around and see what else I can make some balls for! :)
Ted
How about replacing that red plastic ball on your tool post.
Could you show a close up of the cutting tool?

Did you key the shaft (quill) to the handle collar to keep it from sliping? I like the Aloris compatibility. That big long spindle is an awesome feature. I suspect that's the reason for little chatter and nice surface finish.

No, I wanted to be able to rotate it in case I wanted the handle in a different position depending on what I was doing. It's held very firmly in place by tightening the nut on the end of the spindle. The split collar on the inboard side of the handle collar is threaded the same as the spindle, so once that nut is positioned for the desired end play, tightening the bolt in the split locks that into place. So, the handle collar is captive between that split collar and the washer/nut on the end of the spindle. If I want to rotate the handle around all I have to do is loosen the nut on the end, rotate it to where I want it, and tighten the end nut back up.

Yes, very little chatter, if any depending on what size bolt/arbor I have the work piece mounted on while turning. It is over built, but I rather have a tool be too rugged than not rigid enough! :) Besides,I used what material I had on hand and that's what I came up with.

Have fun!
Ted

No, I wanted to be able to rotate it in case I wanted the handle in a different position depending on what I was doing. It's held very firmly in place by tightening the nut on the end of the spindle. The split collar on the inboard side of the handle collar is threaded the same as the spindle, so once that nut is positioned for the desired end play, tightening the bolt in the split locks that into place. So, the handle collar is captive between that split collar and the washer/nut on the end of the spindle. If I want to rotate the handle around all I have to do is loosen the nut on the end, rotate it to where I want it, and tighten the end nut back up.

Yes, very little chatter, if any depending on what size bolt/arbor I have the work piece mounted on while turning. It is over built, but I rather have a tool be too rugged than not rigid enough! :) Besides,I used what material I had on hand and that's what I came up with.

Have fun!
Ted
You clarified a question/issue I had which was repositioning capability for clearance for the handle.... An issue for my lathe.

Nice project. I think I'll utilize some of my "scrap" soon....lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

How about replacing that red plastic ball on your tool post.
Could you show a close up of the cutting tool?

Hahaha... the only trouble is I don't have a metric tap so I can tap the new ball to screw it on! Maybe someday I'll come up with a solution, but it's not a high priority right now... I currently working on Harold Hall's simple grinding rest. That plus the required accessories for it will last me a while! :)

Here's a couple close ups of the cutting tool; 5mm HSS I got cheap from eBay. I put a 10 degree hole in the 1/2" holder. This gives the tool bit clearance without having to grind it. All I did was grind the top rake. 20170927_131029.jpg 20170927_131047.jpg One thing I am going to do before machining the ball for my grinding rest is grind away some of the side of the cutting tool where it swings down to make contact with the arbor when machining. This will allow me to get a little closer and not leave a ridge where the arbor screws into the ball.

Have fun!
Ted

Nice job. Was thinking of making myself one,just could not pick a design yet. Conflicted because of time. Do you have measurements you want to share ?

The cutting takes place on the top of the part, is this correct?

Nice job. Was thinking of making myself one,just could not pick a design yet. Conflicted because of time. Do you have measurements you want to share ?

I didn't produce a full detailed set of drawings for myself, but I'll give you what I did make...

Ted

Attachments

• Lathe Radius & Ball Turner Drawing v12.pdf
    181.1 KB · Views: 69
Back