Just Got A 12x36p Jet Gap Bed Lathe, Where Do I Start To Breakdown And Clean Up??

Garthd85

Registered
Registered
i just got a new to me Jet 12x36 belt driven gap bed lathe. I got it for 600 bucks and its in great great condition, however i habe ocd and would like to take it apart and go through the machine for cleaning and to find any opportunities of mechanical attention. Where do I start and I do not habe a manual. Am I over my head? Also want to fill the lathe with new oil. Im a newbie but you guys are all I have!! Please chime in with anything!! Id even pay for your time on the phone lol i just want to do it right!

Just a quickie ... DO NOT remove the gap "filler." I've seen many a post that said it was very difficult or impossible to get it correctly lined up on reassembly. Apparently they can build up stresses, etc., which will cause distortion when they're removed. The general practice at the factory is apparently to install it (by hook or by crook), THEN grind the bed ways.

I had a chance to get one of those a few months ago but had an issue with moving it; I really wish I had tried harder..

Thanks for all the responses everyone!! Thanks for the manual hook up charles.
hman i heard about bout people doing that and i have no plans for that!! Thats quite an overhaul

Ffmowers the lathe really is very refined conpared to a grizzly and precision matthews o had. The hardened bedways and 1100 lbs with 2 hp motor makes it a pretty nice workhorse. I just want to deep clean it real nice. Need to change oil etc im hoping this manual will help!

Im a jerk i apologize. I just say that because the next time one comes up you will now grab it no matter what this time!!! Lol at ya ffmowers

I found a small solvent proof spray bottle made by WD-40 at the auto parts store. I cleaned up a very dirty lathe using it with paint thinner. It is small and easy to fill. You can also put coolant in it. Harbor Freight sells a set of 3 nylon, brass and steel small brushes that are just the right size for cleaning gears and such.

Never use compressed air. you will get chips and grit into bad places. The lathe is designed to allow gravity to keep the important parts clean.

John dennis thanks bub thats a great idea, those little brushes will do great. Would it be bad to use the red 3m brillow pads to clean up the ways and any other steel parts??

Just a quickie ... DO NOT remove the gap "filler." I've seen many a post that said it was very difficult or impossible to get it correctly lined up on reassembly. Apparently they can build up stresses, etc., which will cause distortion when they're removed. The general practice at the factory is apparently to install it (by hook or by crook), THEN grind the bed ways.
Not true, ask yourself this question.
For what reason would any tool manufacturer produce a gap bed lathe if it did not work?

Back