Just picked up a BP

Thanks guys. I've enjoyed this project very much.

Tomorrow the mill will start paying for itself. In the next week I have. $1000 worth of work coming in to put on it. I've got over $3000 in it, so nice to have some cash coming back from my investment.

Funny, after doing this mill I keep looking for more deals. Like I really need more machines.

Been working on the K axis scale install and took vacation this week and finally got it done. K was the most challenging to install with the tapered and contoured base where the scale needs to be mounted. I thought about trying to use some kind of shims to get the mounting bar to get it vertical and square and there was just no way I could see to do that. So I settled on using a piece of 1/2" X 1 1/2" CRS and used 10/24 set screws as jack screws to get the bar vertical and square. I tried using the 3/8" aluminum mounting bar that came with the scale, but it just wasn't rigid enough. The bar was also bowed about .009 out of the box anyway.

Now the first thing you will probably see in this post is the pic of the case of beer. I can explain. I had an idea for a chip shield and since I don't have any sheet metal tools I called around getting some prices. The first place was a $70 minimum. The next place was $15 and a 50 mile round trip. The third place the guy said bring me a case of Corona and it's yours. So I said ok, what the price really. He said I'm thirsty, that's the price. So I grabbed a case and drove about 5 mins and I walked in with the beer, he handed me the part, I shook his hand and left. I have to say that's the first time I've ever actually paid for anything with beer.
:beerdrinkers:

Here are some pics.
beer.jpg20140903_135300.jpg20140903_195834.jpg20140903_195839.jpg20140903_195903.jpg

beer.jpg 20140903_135300.jpg 20140903_195834.jpg 20140903_195839.jpg 20140903_195903.jpg

Looks like a very clean install, came out nice. You're going to love that K axis. Now you need to make some money with it.

I've already made money with it. So far about $1000 which is about a third of what I have in it.

I got tired of looking at the ugly motor adjustment "handle" so I made my own. I found them on Ebay for $20, but this one cost me $4.79.

I found a ball at Ace hardware but the ball had a 5/16" thread in it. So I got a 5/16" grade 2 bolt and cut it off and put some 1/4"x20 threads on one end. Looks better than it did.

lever1.jpglever2.jpg

I also just did a write up on the DRO install in the metrology forum. Don't laugh too hard at it ok????

lever1.jpg lever2.jpg

I got tired of looking at the ugly motor adjustment "handle" so I made my own. I found them on Ebay for $20, but this one cost me $4.79.

I found a ball at Ace hardware but the ball had a 5/16" thread in it. So I got a 5/16" grade 2 bolt and cut it off and put some 1/4"x20 threads on one end. Looks better than it did.

I also just did a write up on the DRO install in the metrology forum. Don't laugh too hard at it ok????

Good job. Looks "factory fresh"!

This kind of post is very encouraging to one that hopes to make B-port return to life someday. Very nicely done. As a hot rod guy that mods and sells some small trans fittings, I'm interested in what you're doing with trans tail housings. Not to compete, just curious what others are doing. Currently trying to find a good "business case" for the lathe I already bought. Hoping I run across something in the performance area.

You can click on the link in my post to see my web site. It's tells about what I do. I'm glad I'm encouraging you. All it takes is a lot of hard work.............and some bucks.

I decided it was time to move the mill back to where it's going to live for the next how many years. My GF said how are your going to move a 2000lb machine with no forklift. I said easy, with this pry bar and 4 pieces of pipe. Took about a half hour and moved it about 15 ft into place. Now I just have to mount the VFD and get the cables on the DRO routed and the excess tied up and I'm pretty much set. I have dedicated the left tool box to mill tooling and the other one has my standard tools.

20140904_193921.jpg

Now there is an empty spot in the middle of the garage. My GF asked what I'm looking at, I said a new project to go there :)

20140904_191922.jpg

20140904_193921.jpg 20140904_191922.jpg

Last edited:
>You can click on the link in my post to see my web site.
Duh'Oh! Nice, I see the need there.

Always "room" for another project here too. Time...well, I'll have to get back to you on that. Bucks is bucks, but the choices are not that great really. I can get a new china mill like a Turn Pro, assuming Enco sends me yet another 30% anything coupon, for right at 5K. Or, maybe I hunt a decent BP in the 2500~3500 range and spiff it up. Maybe out the same $, so it's a kind of pick your battles thing. The used machine is only luck of the draw and waiting with cash in hand for the right machine. The new machine worry: is it a good one or was it built on China Friday. A new $18K BP is not in the budget ever, so like Babs the Chicken said "Are those the only choices?"

You can click on the link in my post to see my web site. It's tells about what I do. I'm glad I'm encouraging you. All it takes is a lot of hard work.............and some bucks.

I decided it was time to move the mill back to where it's going to live for the next how many years. My GF said how are your going to move a 2000lb machine with no forklift. I said easy, with this pry bar and 4 pieces of pipe. Took about a half hour and moved it about 15 ft into place. Now I just have to mount the VFD and get the cables on the DRO routed and the excess tied up and I'm pretty much set. I have dedicatd the left tool box to mill tooling and the other one has my standard tools.

Now there is an empty spot in the middle of the garage. My GF asked what I'm looking at, I said a new project to go there :)

I bet you get in the habit pretty quickly of keeping those boxes closed up. They'll be the most excellent chip collectors! :biggrin:

What are ya eyeballing for the empty spot?

Back