Just plane fun/frustrating (got to use a metal planer!)

Braeden P

Registered
Registered
so I was to busy to post this yesterday but yesterday me and my brother peyton went down to the machine shop at tuckahoe steam and gas association to plane a lathe bed on a metal planer. It took about 5 minutes to oil everything on it it has tons of oil ports then it took about 10 minutes to set it up, then we started planing it was cutting fine then there was a huge hard spot and the tool glided over the hard spot but we kept going until we reached the side then honed the tool again and it was cutting the hard spot we did that again so it was three passes at the same depth for it to cut evenly then the same thing on the other side then three spring passes across the whole thing it took about 4 hours would have taken 2 or 3 if there was no hard spots but if they could plane that lathe bed 130 years ago with high carbon steel then hss could do it but it was no easy task will but up some pictures soon but I only took a few @DiscoDan took some videos of it running and click on the link to see some pictures of the planer

I know no pics no proof but trust me I will put up some pictures soon

only have a few low quality clips and a few pictures I will try to not forget to post them today

Here you go

Attachments

• IMG_0696.MOV
    38.2 MB
  • IMG_0693.MOV
    34 MB
  • IMG_0697.MOV
    34.6 MB
  • B28AC527-86EA-4FEF-8086-E71CD02372AC.jpeg
    B28AC527-86EA-4FEF-8086-E71CD02372AC.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0695.MOV