Just Purchased A Pm1340gt! My First Lathe.

Scott P

Registered
Registered
Been lurking here for a while now digging through all the mfr. forums and decided this is probably the lathe for me, may be overkill, time will tell. So prior to next Friday when I expect delivery I was looking through some builds in here and saw the te-co leveling pads, do any of you who own this lathe know the bolt hole size in the feet of the lathe? or better yet the part# you used?

I also opted for the preffered package, I see most of you guys put different chucks on the lathes. Are the stock ones crap run out wise?

I will be asking a bunch more questions im sure in the coming weeks. Thanks to all of you guys for your reviews and build threads, really made my choice a bit easier.

Scott.

Hi Scott,

Sorry i cannot answer your Q on bolt hole size.

I just wanted to say:
1) Welcome to the forum! , and
2) Congrats on the new purchase. The waiting is the hardest part......

-brino

Hey Scott,

Wow, heck of a first lathe!

I bought the te-co pads that Mike (zmotorsports) suggested and they slide (snuggly) through the holes in the stands and I put nuts on either side of the stand plate. I don't recall the part number as I copied it out of one of Mikes posts.

As for the chucks, Matt is now advertising a upgraded chuck package with these lathes that is from Taiwan. Should be better than the old offerings. Honestly, I haven't even tried to mount the original 3-jaw that came with the lathe as I wanted a set-tru as my primary chuck and ordered a aftermarket one. I'll probably use that original one on my rotary table. :D

Scott,

I too just purchased this lathe... It's very nice! Here is the info you are seeking on the TE-CO pads. My lathe came with threaded holes to mount the leveling pads and I would HIGHLY recommend you run a tap through the mounting holes - threads on mine had a lot of extra paint and would have been next to impossible to install the pads.

TE-CO 44451 Leveling Pad And Stud Assembly Yellow Zinc, 1/2"- 13 Thread Size

Amazon link: $14.26 each
http://www.amazon.com/TE-CO-Levelin...Stud+Assembly+Yellow+Zinc,+1/2-13+Thread+Size

Be sure we get some photos of your new baby!

Thanks a ton for the link Airwolf, I assumed metric tapped holes being from Taiwan lol.

Thanks guys!

Oh, will a bxa tool post center up on the spindle?

Scott.

Actually, after thinking/remembering a bit I believe I misspoke. The Te-Cos do thread through the bottom of the stands. I didn't clean up anything, nor rethread. I was a bit surprised when they threaded right in. I did put the extra thread surface below the stand's bottom plate for some reason. Insurance? I don't remember, but it seemed a good idea at the time. :)

One of the first things I did after getting it up on it's stand was to put a BXA QCTP on it. Perfect for this size lathe.

Nice machine, you should be very happy with it. You will find that there is a mix of US and metric threading on the machine. So things like the the oil drain for the headstock and knurled nuts on the belt cover are US thread. Might have something to do if it is speced with US vs Metric version. Some Taiwan machines are US threaded like my bandsaw, so varies a bit. Look around for the leveling feet (S & W "BSW-2" type), sometimes they come up on eBay at reasonable prices.

As Bill outlined, the new chuck packaged is improved, good for starting and the you get a lot when you go with the deluxe package for this machine. That being said, most manufactures spec. their 6-8" scroll chucks to 0.002-0.004" TIR, getting anything better than this is hit or miss without a set-tru type of chuck, which have a readability of something around 0.0004". Both Bill and I have the Pratt Burnerd Setrite 3 jaw chucks (Bill's is bigger, uses the 8"), Bison also has a version, and Shar's has a less expensive version ( http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm1340gt-with-a-3-jaw-pratt-burnerd-6-setrite.30758/ ). When you are measuring the TIR, you need to use something like Tight-Tolerance Rods—Precision Ground stock to chuck up example: http://www.mcmaster.com/#5252t715/=zb35zw . I use 1" round in 6", 12" and 1.5" round in 18".

Most of us go with a BXA QCTP, if you go with a Dorian which work very well, I do not recommend their BAX-1 and BXA-2 holders, or the over sized holders. Seems to be lots of variation in the Dorian holders machining/size/versions, and in general over sized holders do not work if you are going to use 5/8" insert holders. The height will be wrong. I use mostly Aloris standard BXA holders, with the buy once mentality.

I have a Dorian BXA as well, and bought a bunch of tool holders from Matt at PM. His will hold 3/4" tools as well as 5/8" within the adjustment range of the tool post. I think this is because his holders have the tool slot located a bit higher from the bottom of the holder (also puts more 'meat' under the tool). I couldn't go the Aloris tool holder route like mksj did because I spent my extra pennies on my 8" set-tru. I will say though that the holders I got from Matt work well and I've not had any issues with 'em.

You're gonna love this lathe. :D

Man! Thanks for all the great info guys!

I was given a bunch of 3/4" dorian tools, so your saying I can use these in a bxa post with Matts holders and still be on center? That would be ideal for me. What about a cxa? Says 13" minimum, or is that pushing it.

Scott.

Back