[4]

Just Showing Off My Printer

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

cs900

maker of chips
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I'll never claim to be a really good machinist, and I certainly can't say i'm any good at 3d printing, but you'll never get better unless you do it. So in the spirit of learning I decided to make my own printer. And by make, I mean design from scratch and machined it myself. So anything that looks custom machined, absolutely is. Now I can't take all the credit, my brother Chris designed the belt drive routing and help machine a few of the parts, so my hat's off to him. It runs off the Marlin software which I have configured for my application. It's also got a lot of cool things like:
- integrated limit switches
- AC mains heat bed
- 24Vdc nozzel heater
- linear ball bearing slides on all axis
- double lead screw design for the Z axis table
- mic6 build platform
- and of course the cool LCD display!

If any one wants build photos i'll be happy to upload some later, but for now enjoy the (mostly) finished photos.
20160920_180518.jpg
20160920_180538.jpg
20160920_180554.jpg
20160920_180607.jpg

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Very nice work! That's an interesting drive system, took some major thought. :encourage:

brav65

Active User
That is a beast, looks like you could support a small spindle for light duty CNC! Nice!

cs900

maker of chips
That is a beast, looks like you could support a small spindle for light duty CNC! Nice!
funny you say that, the mounting of the head is modular, and I fully plan on making a print head and mill spindle configuration. Print it to near net shape, and finish with the mill.

thanks Jim. The pulley configuration is actually based off an old chinese slide rule table design. It works great, and is very easy to scale if I ever wanted a larger print area.

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
That is an awesome printer. How are the prints?

T

TOOLMASTER

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
where does the paper go? ;-p

cs900

maker of chips
That is an awesome printer. How are the prints?
Great.....when I get the print settings right, haha.

Toolmaster, they make wood filled filament, does that count?

Boswell

I have not tried any of the wood filled filament yet but I have made some O-Rings with NinjaFlex.

cs900

maker of chips
Neat, they work well?

Boswell

Neat, they work well?
They worked great for what I wanted them for. I was not make a seal but rather adding them for grip on a handle and cosmetics. I cut several groove in an aluminum handle (1" Round Bar) and then printed square cross section round rings using the NinjaFlex. so they both had the same O.D. Then stretched the "o-Rings" [not sure what to call them because they have square cross section and not a round one] over the handle and into the grooves. They added a nice bit of color and a friction grip to the smooth aluminum. I was able to stretch them out and into place with no breakage and they fit very nicely. Looks like I don't have any pictures :( .

brino

Active User
Hey cs900,

Very nice work!

I am extremely interested in build photos, and anything else you'd like to share about the build.
I am "watching" this thread so I don't miss them.

What is the outer frame size?
What is the max. print envelope?

Thanks,
-brino

cs900

maker of chips
thanks. I'll get a bunch more pictures. They are all on my grabcad account, and I have yet to figure out how to share them without needing a log-in first. but if you have an account, you're welcome to try and look at them.

https://workbench.grabcad.com/workb...72S7I7asxT9WX2rIEYfHl9sFtogp1#/folder/1615607

also, I was curious how uniformly the bed was heating, so i borrowed my buddies flir1. Pretty neat stuff, and looks pretty uniform. I'm happy with it!
flir_20160922T171159_zpshrzd0xbb.jpg

Underside has a bit of variation, but that MIC6 table seems to even it out well
flir_20160922T170655_zpswmzwsfrd.jpg

And just for fun, the E3d volcano head:
flir_20160922T171046-1_zpscpauxjbh.jpg

Wreck™Wreck

Silver
Former Member
Very nice work.

You have knowledge of the printing game, how far away is compositing other materials to replace what is now done by powder metallurgy?

cs900

maker of chips
you mean like this?

cs900

maker of chips
not to get anyone too excited, but looks like santa will be bringing me another E3d volcano assembly as well an an IR differential prox sensor, so duel heads and self leveling bed are just around the corner...

Groundhog

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Please keep us posted. You've done a super nice job and it is something I am very interested in. I may want to copy a bunch of your ideas and build my own printer in the future.

rwm

Active User
Fantastic looking machine. Please post some more on this. We would love to see some video and some prints. I am seriously considering a build like this.
Can you elaborate on the belt drive and why it looks so complex?
Why do you need a self leveling bed if driven by lead screws on steppers?
Robert

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 34477

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Cool build, please keep us posted on this interesting project.

cs900

maker of chips
Fantastic looking machine. Please post some more on this. We would love to see some video and some prints. I am seriously considering a build like this.
Can you elaborate on the belt drive and why it looks so complex?
Why do you need a self leveling bed if driven by lead screws on steppers?
Robert
Here's a better picture of the drive belts.
20161224_190214_zpssm8nmbfy.jpg

There are a few advantages to my routing.
1) it keeps the steppers off the moving part of the axis. Less weight and momentum to move around.
2) there are actually 2 separate belts that connect to the y axis mounts. This provides even force on both sides of the rail so I don't get any skew on the cross bar.

I'd like to add the self leveling so that if I put different media to print on (glass sheet, tape strips, ect) I don't have to readjust the z level limit switch. It'll just do it automatically. It also will adjust for the table being out of square for whatever reason.

I'll be happy to get videos of everything once i have everything reassembled. But for now, this is the current state:
20161224_190224_zpsclqrkvx8.jpg

FYI: the CAD model imports great into Fusion 360.
fantastic, thanks for letting me know.

Also, fun story I went to update my firmware to add the second extruder today, and arduino wouldn't connect to the board. decided to try installing an older version of arduino. Well turns out when you reinstall arduino you have to remove the older version. Would have been fine, but my backup sketches were in the arduino folder. Soooo when it uninstalled the old arduino it deleted my backup files. So I get the pleasure of re configuring every thing. Just an excuse to tune it better!

brino

Active User

cs900

maker of chips
well i had backups, they just happen to be located in folders that the installation of the new arduino deleted as it uninstalled the old version. Lesson learned, and i keep them in a completely separate folder now, lol.

rwm

Active User
This is great. I'm torn between building my own printer or just buying something like a Makerbot for my first attempt. It seems pretty formidable just mastering the software. Any advice?
I still can't figure out the routing of those belts. It looks like an Escher drawing!
What is the cylinder next to the printer?
R

Last edited:

cs900

maker of chips
Yeah, it's hard to get a picture of all the belts in one shot. Maybe this will help:

Y axis. Drive wheel is circled and the termination of the belts is pointed too. Belts is the grey lines, there are 2 for the y axis.
Ybelt_zps9x8dihzm.jpg

X axis: annotations are the same.
Xbelt_zpsc3whnrxx.jpg

That cylinder is my plastic injection molder

As for the software I'm not an expert by any means, lol. So marlin is the name of the firmware that runs on my arduino. You use arduino to edit everything.

rwm

Active User
Got it now. Crazy. Is the plastic injector used with the printer somehow or coincidentally pictured? I assume your printer uses filament?
Robert

Last edited:

cs900

maker of chips
Hey Robert,
It's a pure coincidence. The printer runs on standard 1.75mm filliment. That said, I keep all my failed prints as I can grind them up and use them in the injection molder! recycling at it's best, lol.

Catcam

Registered
Registered
I note you said that the heat bed is ac mains powered. Is that mains voltage? 110volts ac?
Also the extruder it appears tob be mounted on them gantry, have you considered a Bowden type with the mass of the drive mounted remotely. It greatly reduces the moving mass of both the x and y axis.
Thoughts?

cs900

maker of chips
I note you said that the heat bed is ac mains powered. Is that mains voltage? 110volts ac?
Also the extruder it appears tob be mounted on them gantry, have you considered a Bowden type with the mass of the drive mounted remotely. It greatly reduces the moving mass of both the x and y axis.
Thoughts?
Yes sir, the bed heater is 110VAC run thru a solid state relay.

I considered a bowden set-up, but I've heard they have a real hard with the softer and more flexible materials. They are also a lot harder to tune for oozing and the retraction settings. Ultimately I want a reliable printer, and I thin direct drive is the way to go. And besides, with the linear bearings I can zip the head around at 1200mm/sec with a single head with decent acceleration. I'm working on the second extruder head now, so we'll see how it goes with the added mass.

20170108_150319_zpsr84fzc6w.jpg

rwm

Active User
Very pretty!
R

[6]
[5] [7]