K&T 2HL Coolant Pump Parts

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am in the process of rebuilding the long neglected coolant pump for my K&T 2HL. There are a couple of parts that I need to replace. Perhaps one of you faced something similar and came up with a solution.

The spring that sits behind the pressure relief valve was rusted in place and is broken. I am looking for a suitable replacement. My search on McMaster didn't come up with anything. It appears to have bee 4" long, has an OD of 0.750", and a wire diameter of .0625", with perhaps 7 winds per inch.

The other thing is the pickup strainer. It had crumbled do nothing when I pulled the pump out. There were some pieces remaining, but most of it was gone.

Any help anyone could be would be appreciated.

I have the coolant pump off a 1H here... I'm thinking they are the same.

20220531_145946.jpg

20220531_145935.jpg

It's a little crusty, but the strainer is intact...

If you would like me to check the spring, you'll have to tell me how to get to it...

If these parts will work for you, I can send just the parts you need, or I'll see if I can get the entire pump in a flat rate box...

Let me know...

-Bear

The 1H and 2HL are exactly the same machine, outside of the size of the table.

The spring is behind a big plug with a slot in it on one end of the pump. I had to make a tool to get the plug off and then again had to soak everything in penetrating oil to get the piston and spring out.

You could probably just unscrew the pickup pipe (it's just standard 1/2" black pipe) and the whole thing would fit, if you're keen on shipping the whole thing. I'd be ecstatic to get the pickup and the spring just the same.

aad580dba21c3f3e7adf3e5e24e2180a.jpg

It’s behind this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The spring looks good...

20220531_154651.jpg

I'll send just the parts or the whole pump if you will cover the shipping... PM me your address and let me know...

-Bear

Text message sent...

-Bear

Check my last PM. One digit off. Doh!

Ahh heck, I'm late. Not for the pump, to spread a little pump know-how.
Machine tools favor impellers, normally spins within in the body cavity. Can't recall a geared coolant pump, likely due to particles. Cantilever are somewhat superior, where the shaft is within pick up tube, some have the far end run in a bushing. There's a impeller too, pumping more directly instead of having to pull head (creating low pressure 'suction'). Often it hinges on access to pump well, and difficulty of clean out.

Back