K&T TF-420-Talk Me Out This...

vocatexas

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I'm still in the process of finishing my shop. Seems like everything that could happen to slow me down has happened. But, I keep running across machines that I would like to have in the shop once it's finished. I ran across an ad for a K&T TF-420 a few days ago. I talked to the current owner on the phone today, and as much as I keep telling myself to wait until the shop is done, this looks like a really good deal and that makes it really hard to say 'no' to. The few I've seen like this on-line seem to go for upwards of $5000 and this one is considerably less than that.

From what he's said, the ways still have flaking visible on them. It has a vertical head, a dividing head, and a Troyke 15 inch rotary table. He also has 5 arbors, around 15 toolholders, about 100 cutters and a few shell mills. He says that other than needing a new contactor in one motor, it's ready to run. He's getting ready to move out of state, and he says if he can't sell it before he moves, it may go to the scrap yard.

While that' more machine than most "hobby" shops need or have, If you can afford it and your shop can accept it, you won't be sorry. I've run some about that size and they are really stout.

That's a large machine, be careful moving it-
it would turn your toes into instant hamburger

Well, you guys haven't been much help. :p I'm calling the guy tomorrow. I've just got to figure out how to keep this thing out of sight of my wife until I finish the shop. I've already got three 20 foot sea containers full of equipment waiting to go into it. If another container shows up she's going to be suspicious.

You'll never get the kind of help you're looking for on this site , you should know that by now . Tell your wife that new container is for her new Corvette or something else she wants .
;)

Get an empty forth container early and say it's for temporary storage while you move stuff out of the others and into the shop.
Then spend some time sorting and organizing, and one day when she's away the new machine moves in without her even knowing about it!

Not that I've ever done that......... :)

-brino

It is best if you can get approval ahead of time. If you don't a $5000
"girl item" might show up on your credit card statement.

Back