Kalamazoo 816 Bandsaw Restore

dwall174

Registered
Registered
Here's some pictures of my Kalamazoo 816 bandsaw that I rebuilt over a several year period.
It basically always ran, But it never really cut square & I broke several blades because the head weight was way too heavy.

Original condition with a bad hydraulic cylinder, Broken tension spring, And wrong size motor.
Kalamazoo Bandsaw 7.JPGKalamazoo Bandsaw 9.JPGKalamazoo Bandsaw 6.JPG

After pictures including a rebuilt gearbox & hydraulic cylinder! I also replaced the motor with the correct old style large frame motor which also helps counter balance the head weight.
IMG_5389.JPGIMG_5382.JPGIMG_5530.JPGIMG_5359.JPGIMG_5387.JPGIMG_5385.JPG

Doug

Doug, you did a great job on that saw. Very colorful too.

That looks fantastic! Great job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks fantastic! Great job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's some pictures of my Kalamazoo 816 bandsaw that I rebuilt over a several year period.
It basically always ran, But it never really cut square & I broke several blades because the head weight was way too heavy.

Original condition with a bad hydraulic cylinder, Broken tension spring, And wrong size motor.
View attachment 341070View attachment 341072View attachment 341079

After pictures including a rebuilt gearbox & hydraulic cylinder! I also replaced the motor with the correct old style large frame motor which also helps counter balance the head weight.
View attachment 341080View attachment 341090View attachment 341096View attachment 341093View attachment 341094View attachment 341095

Doug
Nice work and a nice looking, simple machine. Do you have an idea of Manufacturing date and history of the saw?

You did a great job restoring it, it should last another 3-4 generations.
What size motor did you put on it?

Do you have an idea of Manufacturing date and history of the saw?

As for it's age my best guess judging on the information I found on Vintage Machinery is somewhere around the mid 1950's ?

No real history to it, I bought it from a guy on Craig's List that said he got it from a shop he use to work at when they upgraded to a new saw.

Doug

Doug, I think those stories need to stay with the machine. Some of these things may still be getting used 50 or more years from now and that information won't likely be less difficult to find.

What size motor did you put on it?

It's got a 1HP 3 phase 1140-RPM motor on it, It's one of the old style frame 204 motors.
The motor is all cast-iron & probably weighs about 75lbs.
IMG_5529.JPG
The saw was originally designed to use these large frame (heavy) motors!
Being the motor is mounted on the back side of the pivot-point, The extra weight helps counter balance the head weight.

Doug

Back