KBC 1340 lathe

Hey Skim, you better get those inside quick, before the HOA sees them. :grin:

Huh???
Absolutely not! Lathes need to cut a whole bunch of threads, both English and metric, to be useful in a hobby shop. Something would have to be jammed or broken or missing to only be able to cut one thread pitch. The lathe is worthless without a useful collection of thread pitches, easily changed as needed. Some smaller and cheaper and older lathes require manually changing gears in a train between spindle drive gears and carriage driven gears for each different thread pitch, which works just fine, just takes longer to setup for a different thread pitch.
I just saw the only standard thread pitch listed on KBC site for this lathe is 28tpi. Plus all the metric ones.
Hey Skim, you better get those inside quick, before the HOA sees them. :grin:
my police car in the driveway buys me lots of leniency. Its a trade off.

That looks a lot like my Enco GH-1340a
They are pretty good tools.
Internally they are like the Jet GH-1340w which is handy as you can still get some parts for them at EReplacement parts.
Mine is 220 volt three phase which is beyond my household service so I took out the contactors and relays and put in a VFD.
Did you get any change gears with it? There is a set which handles metric threading.

Internally they are like the Jet GH-1340w which is handy as you can still get some parts for them at EReplacement parts.
Mine is 220 volt three phase which is beyond my household service so I took out the contactors and relays and put in a VFD.
Did you get any change gears with it? There is a set which handles metric threading.
I believe these are but i have not looked at any of the machines gearing yet. I just took them out of the ultrasonic cleaner.

Attachments

• 80CD5F31-5BBB-4128-8DBB-1E476F238C1F.jpeg
    80CD5F31-5BBB-4128-8DBB-1E476F238C1F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
This is single phase.

I believe Grizzly imported and sold that lathe as the G9036. They no longer import the lathe but they still stock and sell some parts for it.

Looking for info on a KBC GRIP-1340G lathe. Are they decent? Should I keep looking for old heavy iron while I get by with this?

I have already bought the machine, moving it tomorrow. I got the lath and a stand alone smithy mill plus several tool boxes worth of tooling, starrett tools, mitutoyo tools, rotary tables, hundreds of taps, over 1,000 drill bits, endmills, 2 5 gal bucks of HSS .... id say a solid $8-10k or more just in tooling. Snagged it all for $2,000, tooling and both machines.

My past machines were a 12” atlas and a SB 9b. I restored them both but really looking forward to a larger 220v machine.
Nice grab! Congratulations!

I did the same thing.

Is 28tpi the only standard thread yours does?
?? It looks like this is a typical import and it would have a gear box just below the main part of the head stock with either levers or round knobs to shift between threads and feed speeds. Give us a photo of the head stock face with all the levers & mobs. There will be a chart showing how to set the change gears & or levers to select feeds and threads. On the head stock there will be a lever for reversing the feeds and likely having or doubling the rate. Quite a bit different than a SB.

Back