Keeping boxes?

andrewgr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've been haunting ebay and Amazon daily sales to build up a small base of machinist tools and measuring devices. A number of items I've purchased are new and used Mitutoyo and Starrett.

Should I be keeping the cardboard boxes they came in? Should I be storing the items in those boxes when not in use? I have a hard time imagining selling these, but there's obviously a non-zero chance, and I think that resell value is helped by having the original packaging. Beyond that, I have no idea what considerations might be in play, or what normal practices are.

I have the nasty habit of trying to save anything i may find a future use for.

Side effects: too much gets saved that might otherwise be mistaken for junk

I have a big box of small boxes that tools came in; I do think that they increase the value of items being sold, but think that the best tool storage is a wood individual box or a wood tool box with drawers like a Gerstner box. I think the cardboard boxes may draw moisture and cause rusting of tools.

If the tools come in plastic boxes I keep them in the plastic. Cardboard boxes get kept but the tools come out.
Everything is currently in a Husky tool chest but it's not great.
I'm re-habbing a couple of Kennedy boxes so my setup may change somewhat in the future.

I keep wood boxes for measuring tools, and keep the tools in those boxes.

BUT: I don't have space in my shop for storing empty boxes. The end.

To each his own but I throw away all the cardboard boxes. I keep the wooden boxes and repurpose them for whatever.

Edit to my post: cardboard boxes for name brands, especially for vintage tools are kept, off-brand get tossed.

This is a "it depends" type thing. My brother-in-law has two machinist levels. One is a Southbend and the other is a Starrett. Both are wrapped in antirust paper and in their original boxes (I think the Southbend is also in it's wooden box that is in the cardboard box). Things like my micrometers and calipers that are used a lot are kept in my Kennedy box.. Besides cardboard boxes are not only a hassle but tend to get ugly looking from opening and closing. Now David has two Kennedys. By the way, David, keep us posted on what you do on rehabbing yours. I need to take care of the surface rust on mine.

Now David has two Kennedys. By the way, David, keep us posted on what you do on rehabbing yours. I need to take care of the surface rust on mine.
Will do!

If the tool is over 70 years old, and still has a serviceable cardboard box, I store the tool in my wooden chest... but... I preserve the cardboard box. Some collectors of old tools are influenced into spending more if you have the original box.

Back