Keeping Square Welding 1/2 Steel Corner joints

32chevy

Registered
Registered
I tack welded this bracket and would like tips on keeping the joints square after final cool down. This brackets main function is to restrain two mounted bearings. I know shrinkage will occur, hole should i minimize it, to maintain squareness.

I plan on M.I.G. welding with miller 211 welder. I have access to large c-clamps, and a 4x4x1/4 square tube that can "nest" inside the bracket to keep the joints from closing. also have a oxy acetylene setup if i need to heat and straight.

I was thinking of tack welding corner joint 1 at the middle inside location, and letting it cool and than do the same tack weld on the outside of corner joint 1 (just 1/2" away). I was thinking i could just alternate the welds like this and monitor the squareness.

Please disregard the drilled and tapped thru holes that i should have left until the weldment was finished. I did "T.I.G" weld 1/4 from the edge of the threaded hole without distortion.

-Thanks for you time, Ryan

Attachments

• IMG_3280.jpg
    IMG_3280.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3282.jpg
    IMG_3282.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 41
Use a large diameter all thread through the center hole with nuts and heavy washers on all sides.

Ryan, i can't really tell by the pics. but it is a lot easier to keep square if you back tack (alternately) on the inside. Whenever you tack or weld on one side only it will pull the stock that way.

I would fixture the thing rigidly with a spacer between the arms. Perhaps threaded rod as described above. Also consider bolting a plate to the tapped holes. Then MIG or TIG alternating sides as you go. Before removing the fixture. go back with an OA torch and heat all the joints up to orange heat to stress relieve them.
Robert

Edit: I guess I should have asked how close the tolerances are for this piece. Hence the line boring question below.

Last edited:
Here are some more pictures showing function. Thanks for the tips!!!

I will restrain the bracket as instructed and weld spot weld alternatively. if needed I will stress re-leave with torch.

I do have access to mill and surface grinder so I could create parallel bearing mount surfaces. if the threads go egg shape I could use helical insert.

my Miller Diversion 180 TIG welder is limited at amperage (its great for Sheetmetal), therefore I am using my Millermatic 311 Mig

Attachments

• IMG_3010[1].jpg
    IMG_3010[1].jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3012[1].jpg
    IMG_3012[1].jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: rwm
Back