Keller Jefferson 601 Power Hack Saw

ShagDog

Registered
Registered
Been looking for a small power hacksaw for a while now. Picked up a Keller Jefferson 601 Power Hack Saw last weekend. But, this does not appear to be your normal run of the mill Jefferson 601. It appears to have been modified to a chain drive, unless one could buy it that way; but, my searches have not turned anything up. Cuts well. However, I am looking into 2 potential issues. One is that the crankshaft disc assembly is not running the direction of the arrow (counterclockwise). The other is the drive gear moves side to side on the drive pinion. I did try to move the gear in and tighten the set screw, but it did not hold. I think I will take it apart tomorrow to see what is up.

Here are some photos (Chain guard has been removed to show sprocket in photos).

Attachments

• 20230613_135404.jpg
    20230613_135404.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 20230613_135115.jpg
    20230613_135115.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 20230613_135207.jpg
    20230613_135207.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 20230613_135618.jpg
    20230613_135618.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 94
Nice saw. I think the gear and chain is an owner upgrade. As for it running backwards. Does this model have the return lift? If so I would reverse rotation if possible. If not it may not be an issue. I am not up on the mechanics of power hacksaws.
Are they to cut on the push or pull stroke.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Thanks, twhite. I think you are right on the owner upgrade. I don't think it has the return lift, just what they call a "Pressure Relief" on the reverse stroke. I think I may try to reverse the motor and see what happens. Cuts on the push stroke.

Ok, got the side to side movement between the drive pinion and the drive gear for the most part fixed. It still has some minimal, in comparison, movement.
I also reversed the motor to counterclockwise and now the crankshaft disc assembly turns in the direction of the arrow, counterclockwise. Big difference in cutting with the proper rotation. I cut a 2" diameter bar today and yesterday. Yesterday, before reversing the motor, it took over 26 minutes to cut through. Today, after the motor was reversed to counterclockwise, it only took 15 minutes, consistent with benmychree's analysis.

Going in the right direction with the crank tends to pull the saw frame downwards during the cutting (pull) stroke. Having the rotation reversed does just the opposite.

There is a guy in town that said his family formerly owned the Keller hacksaw business.

so I have a portable hacksaw, it's a very small unit, uses a 10" blade. I finally figured out that its a monkey wards unit. I only paid 10 or so dollars, and for my needs it's been good. It sucked at firs, as someone over tightened it and bent the frame. I cut off the rear and made a new one out of bar stock vs the light gauge metal with raised punched in stiffeners. It made it more solid. After a bunch of tuning, it cuts pretty well for it's small footprint. I keep it on top of a garage cabinet and drag it down when needed. I put it on top of a workmate. A little cutting oil and I let it go, and I'll do something else, or keep feeding it oil. I used it the other day and was impressed with how close to true the cuts were... Not always that close. I would prefer a band saw, but I am out of space, and something would have to give to go that route.

oops mis posted, wrong thread.

Last edited:

oops mis posted, wrong thread.
No problem. I pleased that you saw this thread.
Power hacksaws hold a special series of memories for me. Back in the early 70's when i worked in a mold making machine shop after school and during the summers, I used to operate one on a regular basis (grunt work). But, I cannot recall the make. I know it was very large and non portable, and we ran soluble lard oil on it. I remember filling the tank with the soluble lard oil. I had to have one, and had been looking for 1 for a while when I cam across this one, albeit, a miniature version, but perfect size for my space.

Back