Kennametal Replacement Parts?

Beantown

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I picked up a Kennametal SDJCRF 103B E9KV02 on eBay for a good price....or at least I thought I did. I got it for $30 and it looks like new. The problem is it's missing the shim and the shim screw is boogered up. I found where I can buy the screws for $6 per pop, but I have to order a minimum of 10. I couldn't find the exact shim, but similar ones were $30 each! I fear I might have gotten hosed on this deal. It's going to cost me more for the parts than buying a new tool.

Are there any alternatives? Do I need the real deal or will a knock-off work? Do they even make alternatives?

Traver's sells that stuff by part number, but it ain't cheap. No sir. I inspect tool holders very carefully before bidding, because it will ruin a good deal quickly if the components are cheezed.

Shars, if you pull up their page-flip catalog, has a lot of genericized insert holder parts available (screws, hold-downs, and shims). Different manufacturers in a different market sector and a different country make them, so nobody is guaranteeing anything when you buy it, but it is worth a look as the only alternative I am aware of. Otherwise, look for a big lot on ebay (maybe a 5 gallon bucket full) and cannibalize whatever you get your hands on to make a few working holders for you. After learning my lesson, now I reject any tool holder that isn't 100% complete and 100% serviceable as listed. And I'm willing to pay a bit more when I find it.

Hmmmm yep. Lesson learned....It's sad cause I have been very careful to inspect them, but totally missed it was missing the shim. I'll try to get my money back and just buy a new one.

If you can't get your money back, I think I might have the necessary shim and screw for the price of shipping. Only downside is you would have to wait until I go home to Texas for Christmas, as all of my tools are still there.

If you can't get your money back, I think I might have the necessary shim and screw for the price of shipping. Only downside is you would have to wait until I go home to Texas for Christmas, as all of my tools are still there.
Oh man! That would be great. I'd be happy to pay you for the items as well. Just let me know what you think is far. As it stands now I can't find anywhere that sells a single piece at a time.

No worries on the wait. I'm months out from getting my lathe anyway.

We picked up a different tool that was missing 2 screws, 7 bucks a copy and sell in 10 pack, socks.

Went to the screw distribution store, handed them the tool holder and they returned with long metric setscrews that we could modify, less than 50 cents each.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

We picked up a different tool that was missing 2 screws, 7 bucks a copy and sell in 10 pack, socks.

Went to the screw distribution store, handed them the tool holder and they returned with long metric setscrews that we could modify, less than 50 cents each.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
They had the hollow shim screw? That is the one that is boogered. The insert screw is fine.

This is a sticky situation. At least the tool is not obsolete. I ran into an old machinist at a conference who told me that all these things are cheap compared to the time that you spend messing around them, and real machinists can get very annoyed if you waste a lot of time to save a little money. Since it was a blacksmith conference, and there were a lot of artists in attendance, there were a lot of diverse views. I was just showing off my railroad spike contest entry, which was a wedge lock negative rake insert tool holder made entirely from a single railroad spike. The shim and shim screw were chiseled from the same spike, since the rules were one spike, and no scraps. Even the insert came from the same spike, and it was carbo-nitrided to glass hard. If you want to make chips, you know what to do. If you want to tinker, hide that tool until you have the skills and equipment to finish it. That hollow screw can probably be fabricated in pieces and silver soldered together.

Back