[Source] Kennedy Machinist Boxes

Hmmmm, this is a quote taken directly from Kennedy's web page? "Throughout, we have remained committed to building the highest quality American made product possible. We take great pride in the fact that Kennedy branded products are still to this day being manufactured in Van Wert, Ohio."

So now what? ;)

Cheers,
Chazz

Well, then I stand corrected. I could have sworn they were made offshore now. I do think that the quality has gone down in terms of construction on the more recent ones.

Problem with old ones is usually finding a key.

Nelson

I have a gerstner I bought full of tools from a tool and die maker. With a non gerstner riser and boxes of other metrology tools. All the keys, some of the original paperwork. (they say to clean by wiping it down with gasoline....)

For a third of the cost of new gerstner I got about $3500 of tools at retail.

I love my old gerstner. It is a couple of years older than me. Has the Machinerys handbook dated 1961 with a personalized inscription to the previous owner that it was a christmas present. Gotta love a little heritage/ history.

It keeps the measuring tools and other small misc stuff in the Gerstner.

I have a half dozen or so craftsman 2 or 3 drawers I keep the bits, taps, boring tools, etc in.

I also bought this unit for my mechanics tools:

http://www.harborfreight.com/26-8-drawer-roller-cabinet-with-8-drawer-top-chest-67831.html

image_11487.jpg

I paid around 300 with a super cheap coupon...now they are selling for about 360 and you can't beat the quality for the money.

I split it up and gave my dad the bottom half as a tool cart and I use the top. Tons of space, ball bearing drawers. Nicer than the craftsman boxes, almost as nice as a snap on.

Harbor Freight definitely produces some crap, but their tool boxes are getting really nice.

There was another gerstner 11 near me with tooling as well not too long ago....must........ resist........ craigslist!!!!!!!

image_11487.jpg

Well, then I stand corrected. I could have sworn they were made offshore now. I do think that the quality has gone down in terms of construction on the more recent ones.

Problem with old ones is usually finding a key.

Nelson

All you need is the lock number and Kennedy will get you a key. They're easy to pick if you get one that's locked. The tubular ones, not so easy, but they also have a key number stamped on them.

I also bought this unit for my mechanics tools:

http://www.harborfreight.com/26-8-drawer-roller-cabinet-with-8-drawer-top-chest-67831.html

View attachment 34688

I paid around 300 with a super cheap coupon...now they are selling for about 360 and you can't beat the quality for the money.

I split it up and gave my dad the bottom half as a tool cart and I use the top. Tons of space, ball bearing drawers. Nicer than the craftsman boxes, almost as nice as a snap on.

Harbor Freight definitely produces some crap, but their tool boxes are getting really nice.

There was another gerstner 11 near me with tooling as well not too long ago....must........ resist........ craigslist!!!!!!!

I've been hearing good things about the H-F tool chests from all over. They have one on wheels on sale now for $150.

I'd love a Gerstner, but none are ever nearby- no one wants to ship that.

@Tony- thanks for the tip on the keys, I will try it out. I never lock mine, ever. But it's nice to have a key.

If there is any near me (NYC) I am gonna go for it because you can put anything in them and you always need more toolboxes.
Who cares if they have scratches- if they were new, I'd scratch em up anyway- and that doesn't affect their use.

Nelson

Charley, I probably have a lock. I changed some of mine to tubulars, so have my old ones. If you want, I'll dig around.

Charley, I probably have a lock. I changed some of mine to tubulars, so have my old ones. If you want, I'll dig around.

Sure:biggrin: Don't go through any trouble to find it as this box is in my shop at least for now so I really don't need to lock it.

Never enough tool boxes

..Thanx for the replies..I need to get to this website more often now that I registered.

Back