Kennedy tool box paint

porthos

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
i like good tool boxes. i have 4 gerstners and 1 pilloid. 8 kennedys. i got them all very cheap or i wouldn't own them. this thread is about kennedy tool box paint. the last 2 that i bought at a online sale had a few rust spots and some white paint on the corners. sooo, i bought a can of spray paint for kennedy tool boxes @ $40.00 !! the color is a perfect match to the original. however there is not the texture (wrinkle) that the tool boxes have just a little roughness; like vert fine sand. and, i know that i DID shake the can enough. there, i got that out of my system!! oh and last, i do not own near enough tooling to fill them up.

The texture comes when you heat cure the paint, either in an oven or with a heat gun. I like the heat gun myself, but the oven makes a more uniform and better finish. You need to wrinkle the paint within a day or so of painting, it should still be a little bit soft. You want the solvents out of it, but not hardened.

thanks for the info. too late now. there is nothing on the can stating that.

The texture comes when you heat cure the paint, either in an oven or with a heat gun. I like the heat gun myself, but the oven makes a more uniform and better finish. You need to wrinkle the paint within a day or so of painting, it should still be a little bit soft. You want the solvents out of it, but not hardened.
That's not how the original paint worked. It had to be applied heavily to wrinkle. Basically it's like having enamel paint with lacquer thinner.
if you have ever painted enamel and followed it up with lacquer it would wrinkle.. So they used that to get wrinkle finish. you need to apply it heavily so it wrinkles.

I have heard that the new paints do not wrinkle.. I am not absolutely sure of that. it could be many just not familiar with the process.
yes it is expensive. They are proud of their finish. I opted for Rustoleum Brown, since I didn't care if it were wrinkled or not. Just that it stored tools.

I added a Craftsman vertical “drawer” to one of my new/deep discount Kennedy combos back in the early 80’s and tried the Kennedy spray paint on the Craftsman so they would match: color was IK, but no wrinkles. When I talked to Kennedy about it they said I shouldn’t have keyed the paint on the Craftsman, so I figured they didn’t know anything and stopped while ahead.

Maybe you could try some wrinkle / texture paint as a base with the correct coat on top . Going that route you definitely would need to test it and leave it sit for a few days just to see if there’s any reactions between the two

There is a person on another forum that has had very good experience with using VHT wrinkle finish as a base, then spraying the desired color over it after it has cured. The VHT provides the texture, and the top coat the color. He is a military collector, and the finish color is Olive Drab.

Back