Keyless chuck identification - Albrecht?

Well, now I'm confused. Oh well, that seems to be a normal state for me lately.

Well, now I'm confused. Oh well, that seems to be a normal state for me lately.

I may be recalling incorrectly but I think the integral chucks might use more bearings than the chucks that take Jacobs tapers. I'm not sure of my memory but I think @ddickey might have some info on this?

I may be recalling incorrectly but I think the integral chucks might use more bearings than the chucks that take Jacobs tapers. I'm not sure of my memory but I think @ddickey might have some info on this?

That makes sense. I think the ones I have, or at least some of them, are integral.
I just looked back through my emails and found one I had sent to Royal products. It reads in part.... "I have an Albrecht chuck with an integral R8 shank. It is the 1/32-1/2" size (1-13mm). It appears that the ball bearings are 2.5mm in size." Dori Ann Casillo replied with ---> "There are 42 balls in the ball set for this chuck. The get placed onto the race and you can use a little bit of lube to hold the balls in place during assembly. Thank you."

I should really put a few of mine back together. I have new jaws for at least two or three of them and new bearings. Building this dang house has really gotten in the way of the important stuff.

I'd have expected the ones with jacobs tapers like mine to more often need a larger quantity of smaller balls, because the taper takes up space. At least mine definitely need more smaller rather than few larger.

Actually, larger chucks tend to take larger bearings but fewer of them.

Well I can tell you when I open my 3/4" jacobs 18N it feels like I'll never finish taking balls out and putting them back lol. Though I think they're 3/16, just under 4mm.

I haven't gotten an email back from Rohm yet, but I decided to go ahead and make the collar. I didn't have a large enough piece of mid or high carbon steel on hand, but this cold rolled should hold up fine considering what it needs to do. Knurling 1.75 inch cold rolled on the 7x14 mini lathe was fun, took two tries to get it to track properly. Also ended up using the 4-jaw to hold the collar with an endmill in the tool post for the screw socket.

I've got some 2.5mm balls on the way from mcmaster. Total investment for a Rohm Spiro: $7, plus the collar material I had on hand and my time. I'd say that worked out well lol.

Attachments

• P_20201109_232937.jpg
    P_20201109_232937.jpg
    665.5 KB · Views: 8
Back