Keyless drill chuck function....

I've got the PM Ultra precision chucks for PM-1340GT lathe and PM-30MV mill, they are excellent. I've had to use spanner maybe 2 times to loosen on lathe with a 1" diameter drill bit, never had to use on mill. Maybe I've got big hands but easy to loosen chuck with at least one finger wrapped around bit to keep it from dropping on table. The PM-30MV has a wrench with 2 big flats and hold wrench in right hand, tighten chuck with left, easy as can be. I'd never ever go back to a keyed chuck.

The PM-30MV has a wrench with 2 big flats and hold wrench in right hand, tighten chuck with left, easy as can be. I'd never ever go back to a keyed chuck.
I talked with PM today about the drill chuck issue with the 833TV. They are sending me a wrench and some sort of device that attaches to the spindle so I can hold the spindle solid while I operate the chuck. We will see how it works out.

I've got the PM Ultra precision chucks for PM-1340GT lathe and PM-30MV mill, they are excellent. I've had to use spanner maybe 2 times to loosen on lathe with a 1" diameter drill bit, never had to use on mill. Maybe I've got big hands but easy to loosen chuck with at least one finger wrapped around bit to keep it from dropping on table. The PM-30MV has a wrench with 2 big flats and hold wrench in right hand, tighten chuck with left, easy as can be. I'd never ever go back to a keyed chuck.

I’m no expert, but I have read in a few places to not use a drill larger than 1/2” in a (1/2” max) keyless chuck because a drill larger than that has enough leverage to make the chuck too tight.

You can imagine how much leverage a 1” drill would have.

That's true but also not true if you've taken several steps to get to 1". Also dependent on what material your drilling. But no, I wouldn't drill a pilot and then try to hog out with a 1" bit.

I talked with PM today about the drill chuck issue with the 833TV. They are sending me a wrench and some sort of device that attaches to the spindle so I can hold the spindle solid while I operate the chuck. We will see how it works out.
I noticed they had some sort of clamp on device with wrench flats in the new 833TV manual. Post some pictures when you get it will you? Seems like it might help with the belt drive and no spindle lock, however I use an indicol regularly and it looked to take up the space where I usually mount it.

I've got two PM keyless chucks. Both were stiff when new but are now reasonably free turning. The one on the lathe has an MT3 tang that locks so no chance of spinning in the taper. The mill is R8 and yes putting it in takes lots of clearance but a quick move of the table either up/down or X takes care of that. I have DRO & power knee. I also have keyed chucks but haven't used them in a long time. I use a 1" S&D drill but always after a 1/2". In steel I'll give the chuck a bit extra snugging with the pin spanner, just habit never had an issue.

I ended up buying an affordable Chum Power keyless drill chuck made in Taiwan. It was delivered today and it is extremely easy to turn compared to the PM chuck. Plus it has the upper collar so no fiddling around with a wrench up top on the draw bar to tighten or loosen.
Chum.jpg

Let us know how you like it in a week or so. It's good to know if your favorable impression is maintained.
Where did you get it? When you get it mounted up and installed, what is the TIR?

Back