Kieth Rucker's 9" straight edge just arrived

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Has anyone finished one of these yet?
I'm looking forward to working on this.
I need to finish the carbide lapping machine before I can scrape it.
I do have the mill and the surface grinder.straight edge (2).jpg

I bought one of those too! Its on my todo-list as a way to learn scraping, but I haven't got around to it yet. Once I get a few projects off my list I can get to it.

I figure I can knock out the machining/grinding bits in an afternoon, but I'm not sure how long it'll take to do the scraping in! I figure thats about 99% of the effort.

I bought one of those too! Its on my todo-list as a way to learn scraping, but I haven't got around to it yet. Once I get a few projects off my list I can get to it.
I bought it to help maintain the skills I learned in Richard King's class. Plus, it would be a handy tool around the shop.
Thankfully, I have access to friends with excellent scraping skills.

I bought it to help maintain the skills I learned in Richard King's class. Plus, it would be a handy tool around the shop.
Thankfully, I have access to friends with excellent scraping skills.
Thats really fortunate! I haven't had a chance to go to one of Richard's classes, so I'm going to try to use this to self-teach as best I can off the videos of some of his students. I'm not terribly sure how useful it would be around the shop, but I'm going to give it a chance anyway! As soon as my projects list gets shorter :)

Erich,
I can appreciate wanting to learn scraping. There are specific techniques and skills to learn where and how much to take off.
You can chase your tail for days.
From one that has seen a very small amount of how this art form is accomplished, I strongly encourage you to find someone in your area that has had some form of training.
Just my opinion.

Erich,
I can appreciate wanting to learn scraping. There are specific techniques and skills to learn where and how much to take off.
You can chase your tail for days.
From one that has seen a very small amount of how this art form is accomplished, I strongly encourage you to find someone in your area that has had some form of training.
Just my opinion.
Perhaps some day... I watched through Keith Rucker and Adam Booth's videos, so I'm hoping that is sufficient to get some initial ideas figuring it out. And at the moment, worst case is I waste time some time on a cheap disposable camel-back.

I've not heard of any scraping people out in the Portland area (let alone deep in the 'burbs where I am :) ), but I'll keep an ear out.

That's awesome! A guy in the Richard King scraping class at my shop had one of those and scraped it within 40-50 PPI.

I just watched this video again.
Now I'm trying to figure out where to start. I don't have a big old horizontal milling machine to chew up the face in one pass. I'm going to need to mill the top and bottom so I can grind it.
I'm thinking I will use a face mill while mounting the frame as close to 90 degrees as I can and mill the face first then flip it and do the top.
The 45 is pretty straight forward.
Surface grinding will make scraping a heck of a lot easier, less material to remove.

Back