Kimble motor 1922

Al 1

Registered
Registered
I purchased an Oliver Wood Lathe which has a Kimble motor dating to approx. 1922. The motor runs fine. No bearing noise. My question is on the grease caps. Without completely flushing the bearings what type of grease would be suitable to add into existing cups. Thank you, Al

Attachments

• IMG_0314.jpeg
    IMG_0314.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0316.jpeg
    IMG_0316.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_E0303.jpeg
    IMG_E0303.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
oil if you can grease should only be used if oil can not be retained.

Hi Al, that's quite a collectable motor- never seen one like it. I would think oil rather than grease also- the cups have such long stems I don't see how grease would ever travel down to reach the bearing
-Mark

Last edited:
3-IN-ONE sells 20wt oil for electric motors. Comes in a 3 oz. container.

OK, fine. It has a motor. Now, where are the pictures of the lathe?

Thats a frigging cool motor. Built in variable speed! Exposed commutator! Weighs a ton for 1/2HP!

And a mechanical governor to boot!

I would agree with those that assess them as grease cups. I have a few old machines with similar cups. The data plate says to tighten the cap 1/2 turn every 40 hours (weekly) of operation. The "seals" on the shafts of my motors are ceramic. They will keep grease contained, but oil flows right through them. Either onto the floor or into the housing.

Yes, grease, any soft non fiberous grease would suit the application; they used to call it "cup grease".

Back