kinda OT- Who is the most famous machinist, living or dead?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hey Guys,

Who is the MOST famous machinist (someone who actually plied the trade of metalworking) in history?

I'm sure this thread with stir the pot a little and come out with many opinions.

What do YOU think?

Best,

Nelson

I'm not sure about most famous, because machinists generally don't make headlines. But there is one man that stands out in my mind, and I have never even seen his work that I know of. He has, however, inspired me and countless others to get into hobby machining. I never met him, and yet I think I could have learned a lot just by chatting with him.

His name was Elmer, and is known for "Elmer's engines".

I'm sure we've all seen the plans of the many different models he created. Many of us have used those plans to produce working model engines. Simple, yes. But they work, and are generally without errors. Best of all, they're free. There's a lot to be said for someone who puts that kind of time and effort into something, and then freely shares it with all.

Most FAMOUS machinist - ooh, that's likely to be a tricky one.

So tricky, in fact, that I feel an anecdote coming on. . .

Here it goes:

Every so often I’m “challenged” by a prospective customer who insists that i produce a list of celebrity musicians for whom I’ve worked, presumably because that would “establish credentials,” or something.

My first response is to tell him (they really are always men, you know) that our shop does not particularly cater to high profile professional musicians for a number of reasons. We’re not in a major recording or performance venue area, so we simply don’t see that kind of traffic as do our friends in Nashville, Los Angeles, Austin, or wherever. And, we truly don’t believe that a celebrity musician is likely to be any more demanding or knowledgeable than many of the dedicated amateurs for whom we work regularly.

Often, that’s enough to defuse the situation, but now and again there’s the fellow who simply must throw down the proverbial gauntlet to provoke combat.

Simply by accident I hit upon a routine that drives these guys absolutely nuts. It goes something like this:

“So, what you’re saying is that nobody important ever comes in here. Otherwise you’d have a name for me.”

“No, what I’m saying is that celebrity is not an issue here.”

“Right. That means you don’t have any important clients.”

“Well, if you insist, the most famous person we’ve sold an instrument to is so much better known than anybody you’re thinking of, it’s not even worth discussing.”

(Oops, looks as though I just threw gasoline on the fire, yes?)

“Oh, yeah? So WHO IS THAT?”

“Well, not so long ago SHIRLEY TEMPLE bought a guitar here.”

(Neener, neener, neener. . .)

OK, if you've managed to make it this far, here's my suggestion:

Leonardo da Vinci

Tubalcain is becoming famous daily. IMO

Pat

Well, I don't know his name and he is no longer alive...BUT..... ;)

I would have to give the trophy to the dude tha first stuck a round thing to each end of a pole of some sort 8)

My heroes:

From the past...
John Browning, Walter P. Chrysler, Henry Ford, Louis Chevrolet, Zora Duntov, Wright Bros.

Contemporary...
Forrest Addy (machinist forums), Ken Veney (drag race cylinder head fame), and Mike Koszitzky (Allis-Chalmers steam turbines).

Who is the most famous machinist, living or dead?

guess Ill side in with nivlek, dont get me wrong but many here do wonders, and beautiful
works of art in metal. I think the key answer is that they changed the world right till now.
Every thing one does know , it came from those guys . They had workings but not by todays
standards, they did it . example unbeilivable 4" v8 flathead on U tube thats now. How they
done it in 1932 with one cast is --- the answer is ONE who changes the world is most famous.
(aint seen that happen since I been around)

For me, it would have to be Mr. Nelson, My hi sch metal shop teacher that I had all four yrs of hi sch. He got me interested in lathes, mills, welding etc. The others, did they really have anything to with your education of metal working and the machines required to produce the finised product. Steve Jam..

Back