Kingston HL-1500 ..... When is a lathe too big?

Is that really a 21" swing? Or is it 15", 21" with gap bed removed?

It sounds like its probably overkill for what you do. As a tool junkie as well as appreciating nice equipment: I understand the difficulty in passing up good equipment at a great price. There is something to be said about the quality and operational feel of more industrial machines. (yes, I realize that this is possible in small lathes, but I feel like these are not as common).

My 2c is that once you get above 5hp/14" swing/40" bed, then you're starting to get into exponentially more serious territory - moving, electrical, operating cost, tooling, operation becomes a lot more to manage. I think what you're looking at is close (IMO) to an ideal "big" hobbyist lathe. Its too bad its not shorter. Would love to see pics -if in really good shape, DRO, includes tooling...yeah, I'd possibly break my own rules. :)

Just an idea but since the owner of the lathe passed away do they know of anyone he was doing work for? Some local people he helped out or did paying jobs for? They may know or not. But you could end up with some work to do with it since the machines are rare up there. May even just meet a fellow hobby guy with a contact.

Is that really a 21" swing? Or is it 15", 21" with gap bed removed?

. :)
I did think it odd that the model number was 1500 with 21" swing. If an actual 15", it might be worth considering. In that case, a CXA toolpost would be right.

My 2c is that once you get above 5hp/14" swing/40" bed, then you're starting to get into exponentially more serious territory - moving, electrical, operating cost, tooling, operation becomes a lot more to manage.
I haven't been at this long, but I feel like times are really changing on me. Seems I remember a time when the standard advice was "buy the biggest you can afford, or just buy a Southbend 10". Now the Heavy Ten seems too small for the guys starting in the hobby now. Sorry, OT. 1440 is the new Heavy Ten. My how fast the world moves!

Back