Knee not running true on Bridgeport

Getting ready to tram my baby Bridgeport for the first time. Is buying, or making a "pro tram" type device significantly easier than the process outlined in my textbook with sweeping the indicator across the table? Worth the extra money, or just another unnecessary specialized tool?

John

Getting ready to tram my baby Bridgeport for the first time. Is buying, or making a "pro tram" type device significantly easier than the process outlined in my textbook with sweeping the indicator across the table? Worth the extra money, or just another unnecessary specialized tool?

John

The indicator on an arm works, but I do like the dual indicator setup for at least getting close. I made one, they are pretty simple.

One indicator work real good, last long time. Never needs any calibration like having two indicators.
Only benefit to two indicator fixture is you don't have to look around the back side to see the dial.
Of course there are Interapid inidicators where the dial is nearly horizontal so you look down on it and can see it easily no matter where the spindle is clocked.

Bottom line, I don't have to tram that often, and my general lack of storage means I have no need for a special purpose tramming tool.
You certainly have no need to get one before you tram the mill for the first time.

Which way is it not centered, in the X direction or the Y direction? I'm guessing if it's in the Y direction the nod on the head is the problem. The first thing I would do is tram the head to the table. There are dozens of YouTube videos showing how it's done. The hardest part is going to be adjusting the nod. Often times on older machines the bolts holding the gear in the head become lose allowing the gear itself to move slightly without having any effect on the head. If that happens it will be difficult at best to get the head properly positioned every time you tighten down the head, it can potentially move.
I leave all bolts snug when tramming.

It’s easier to go back on the adjusting gear without the head flopping around and adds a bit of resistance to make things easier, especially in the nod adjustment.

probably need to tram the mill first....

John

ehhhh.... so demanding. "I want my parts to be square"... :)

Honestly, since you have to adjust it before use, it would probably get you pretty close even if your mill is a bit off. But it would probably be better to be all squared up before making one.

And yes, leave the bolts snug. There is a fair bit of backlash in there and you'll spend a lot of time swearing if you don't.

I got one of those fancy Edge tram tools. It showed up on my porch in a box addressed to me, and I was like, hey! I didn't order this, but the note inside was from my Dad, and it said that it would fit my mill better than his. Okay, okay, fine. It's in the toolbox.

I always did the single indicator sweep, but not anymore. That funky little tool makes the tram job quick and confident. I would never have had the chance to find out if it weren't for Dad's surprise gift. Now I know there's really something to it. And queue up the rainbow flag defense, don't knock it until you've tried it!

John
I got one of these from LMS

1700437231999.png
Works the treat....

John

Back