Knife maker trying to decide between 2 models as a first mill.

Yes, one-piece handle. I think that the picture was meant to show how far the tang would extend into the block of wood. If I was using a wood-working router, I would describe the operation I want to do as a 2 inches deep, 3/4 inch long plunge cut.

Thanks for the info on evaluating a used mill. If checking one out is that straight-forward, I think I might be able to do it.
I think that's a fairly tricky cut to make, in that you'll need to figure out how to hold your handle upright with the correct alignment, rigidly, and you need a very long, narrow tool. I'm guessing it will have to be a carbide end mill and machine rigidity may be an issue. I know you're cutting wood in that example, so probably fine, but it's a really high-aspect-ratio tool. I'd think about a fixture to hold the handles in an adjustable but secure way. Depends on how often you want to pocket one.

You also mention removing some of the tang thickness. Do you intend to do so in the pre-hardened state (hopefully)? Even so, surfacing the steel tang is going to be more of a job than the brass guard.

I don't want to give you the wrong idea about used machines. In my experience, it has turned out really well. I'm sure others can tell you stories of buying something that seemed fine but was actually unusable. I'm just of the view that the right approach can manage that risk considerably.

I've done the deep pocket in wood with my plunge router and a jig in ~1/4" passes, and it's not great, but it didn't break the end mill. Part of the reason for the brass is to cover any slop in that process; it can be quick and dirty.

And yep, I've been watching youtube for fixturing inspiration for all the parts, and found a couple good ones on evaluating old mills. I still think a benchtop is the right one for me right now, so availability might be an issue as time is money.

I planning on removing material on the tang before hardening. I probably wont need to do the whole length of the tang with a mill; maybe a 1/2" and the rest could be done roughly with my 2x72 grinder.

Thanks again for the input; it's nice to have a sounding board.

So I decided to go with the LMS mini mill with DRO. I know there are better values for the capability in the second hand market, but this fits my space needs. Plus the more limited it is, the easier it will be to justify upgrading eventually.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Cool, it will be fun to see how it works for you. I hope you post some projects here.

I assumed you were using a 2 part handle based on the photo which I guess was just a cutaway.

That deep pocket might be a challenge due to the height, 5-1/2" handle + 4-5" long cutter doesn't leave you much room out of the 11-1/2" spindle to table height for a vice and end mill holder. I think it could be done but you might have to start the pocket with a shorter endmill, then stop and place a longer endmill inside the partially completed pocket to finish.

Definitely interested to see how it works out.

Back