Knurlcraft, repurposed turret knurling tool or make your own

Headrc

Registered
Registered
OK another thread on knurling here. I am searching for possibly someone that has used all three of these approaches that I can learn from once again. The question of course is as the title states ...which is the better approach? The Eagle Rock/Knurlcraft scissor, acquire a turret lathe knurling tool and mount it in a tool holder or make your own knurling tool? Of course please educate me if there is yet another better approach for my 12 inch Logan lathe. It seems like a turret knurl tool can be had for less, is very stout and produces a good product. Although it is limited in the diameter that it can accommodate. That brings up the other question of how often are knurls larger that 1" in diameter actually needed? Of course the most economic approach is make your own (not considering your time of course) ...and learn from doing it, Thanks as always. Richard

If you go the Eagle Rock route, be sure to get the "heavy-duty" version that uses set screws with the knurling pins. The other one uses pressed-in pins and is a real PITA to change knurls.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I use Eagle Rock clamp tooling, they work a charm. Not fast but they work, this one will accommodate parts about 4" diameter, these particular parts are 3 1/8" D and the knurled portion is 22" long. I believe that it costs less then $500.00, this is a lot of tool for the money.

Me, used a dual wheel (Photo 1 knurl) for 10 years. Hard on your machine.
Recently built a scissor type (Photo 2 Knurl)

1 Knurl.jpg2 Knurl.jpg

I prefer the Scissor type, less pressure on your lathe, head stock and cross slide screws.
The beast I built is not unlike this one. I bought the Knurl Wheels, cheap as chips. It is good fun and practice mucking around building it.
Have fun mate.
Mark Needham
PS, if need be, could photograph the one I made.

Me too. That'll be my third one.

Really nice job done by Doug! I hope I can get my skills up to that at some point.

Last edited:
Richard, the size of the knurl diameter you need depends on your needs. Sometimes you'll need a large knob, or you may need to knurl the end of a large piece to press fit into a hole. Can't tell you how big you need but I have not had to do anything bigger than 2" yet.

That knurler in the video is way cool and would be a neat project to do, I think.

The turret knurler you're referring to is great if you're going to do a lot of pieces of one size or within a limited range of sizes. To do all the different knurls I do in my shop, it would require me to buy 4 or 5 knurlers and that will get expensive. Not for me.

Scissors knurlers can be bought or made. Of course, if you go with an Eagle Rock then it will work well from the moment you throw it on the lathe for not a lot of money. The K1-44 is the heavy duty model with the set screws holding the knurling pins and if you go for an Eagle Rock, go for that series as @pstemari said. This is the tool you will find in many pro shops, for good reason. The thing that makes this tool worthy is the solidity of the design. Unlike the knock offs of this tool, the Eagle Rock doesn't have a lot of lateral play in the arms once it is locked down and that makes a big difference in the quality of your knurls.

A shop-made scissors knurler is potentially much cheaper and can be made either simply or very complicated, like Doug's one in the video. I tried several designs and the one I settled on has side plates to limit lateral movement of the arms. This matters to me because most of the knurls I make are wider than the knurl itself so I have to do some axial running down the work piece; I do not want the arms to be able to move around when I do this.

IMGP0566.jpg

The fastest way to get going is to buy one. Knurling is a high pressure operation and I suggest you buy a good tool from the get go. If you can fabricate and wish to make your own then look at the many designs out there and go for it. I made mine from a single picture much like that above and figured out how to build it.

Back