Knurling attachment question (scissor or clamp type?)

We haven't talked about pitches yet either.....

:laughing:

I'm not an expert on knurling so whatever I say may be total kaka. As a hobbyist, I think knurling pitches are a personal preference. In general, use finer pitches as the workpiece diameter gets smaller. Like a coarser pitch knurl will look funny on a small diameter & vice versa. Well funny as in not what you commonly see.

However one may actually want that type of look. With that said, cosmetics can play a big part in knurling. Knurling of course is usually functional but a poorly formed knurl, double tracked knurl, or a knurl pattern that is crooked, can make a nice part look not so nice. Kind of like a part that has no chamfers making it look unfinished.

But if you use a finer pitch on a larger diameter, if it's a diamond pattern knurl that you want fully formed, it won't be so harsh on the hands if used as a handle or knob. So again, it's personal preference most of the time IMO. There are times when parts needs to be a certain pitch for functional reasons, like grip for press fits for example. You wouldn't want the knurling on a wheel stud to be too fine. Needs to be coaser to provide bite so that the wheel stud won't spin but not too coarse that it won't be able to bite into the hub.

I hope the knurling gods don't punish me. I won't ever do it again. Just like I ain't ever taking a rock home from HI. :big grin:

... Just like I ain't ever taking a rock home from HI. :big grin:

You do realize that us locals made that superstition up, right? Otherwise, everyone who visits the islands would be taking home a souvenir and the islands would be 3 feet tall! :clown:

Otherwise, I agree with what you said because you are probably one of the most talented knurlers on this forum!

You do realize that us locals made that superstition up, right? Otherwise, everyone who visits the islands would be taking home a souvenir and the islands would be 3 feet tall! :clown:

Otherwise, I agree with what you said because you are probably one of the most talented knurlers on this forum!

Haha, really? But but, I've heard the stories! :D Well I'm not really superstitious, I just makes jokes about being so sometimes, but I still wouldn't risk taking one home! :)

Ah gee, Mike, thank you. I never though so but that means a lot coming from you!

Not to derail the thread, but has anyone ever tried knurling a piston? I have a 4" diameter compressor piston I would like to knurl for an oversize bore. Thanks, Mike

Look for Form Rol or Accu-trak knurls on ebay. Both companies also sell cobalt pins.

Good idea, thanks! I don't see any now, but I'll keep an eye out. Out of curiosity, would round HSS work well? I could grind a spot to retain them. Sounds like the wheels are HSS, so similar hardness might be an issue.

Good idea, thanks! I don't see any now, but I'll keep an eye out. Out of curiosity, would round HSS work well? I could grind a spot to retain them. Sounds like the wheels are HSS, so similar hardness might be an issue.

HSS drill blanks seem to work okay for me and you can get them very close to the size you need. I have no idea if they will work in your knurler, though.

The K1-201 is $260 (Amazon) for those of you following along. Too much for me at this time. The $40 imitation might work just fine for my needs. They all seem to be the exact same one sold by different sellers for varying prices.

Making one is an option. The Tom's Techniques one looks cool, but it limits the diameter that can be knurled. I can't make it much bigger since my mill jaws only open to 3". However, most scissor knurlers go up to 2-1/4" so maybe that's not even an issue.
I'm not sure I understand the camjack knurler; it seems to have unneeded pieces. Specifically, the top piece that is activated by the 1/4-20 jack screw. Seems like you could just have two arms with knurlers in them that are squeezed together by the bigger screw. What am I missing?

Back