Knurling Delrin

NCjeeper

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anybody here done it with any success? If so what was your secret? Reading posts some have mentioned "ok" success using the scissors type knurler. Others have mentioned either warming up the Delrin or your knurler to help displace the material.

Years ago on here when we were talking about knurling titanium I got curious about trying to knurl delrin so I gave it a shot. For partially formed knurls it knurled fine. Interesting about you saying whoever said to warm it up first. I had better results keeping it cool when fully form knurling. Second pic below in the middle section is what happened for me when I tried running it dry & without any cooling (vortex cold air gun).

These were just quick attempts, haven't tried it again since.
Img_2886.jpgImg_2900.jpgImg_2915.jpg

This older video shows tap used sideways to cut grooves in a tool body. I knurled two cut off pieces of the grooved portion about 2" long, and tapped the other end 10/24 tpi for a threaded rod. This made two long "thumb nuts" (?) that allow quick
assembly of a fixture to a vertical set up plate for loading/unloading of of parts. I used a straddle knurl tool.

Attachments

• IMG_1074.jpeg
    IMG_1074.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1076.jpeg
    IMG_1076.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1056.jpeg
    IMG_1056.jpeg
    10.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1048.jpeg
    IMG_1048.jpeg
    25.3 KB · Views: 14
  • cut gooves.jpeg
    cut gooves.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 15
I have never tried it, but I believe one could thread the Delrin with a fairly fine thread, and then knurl it. Could also cut grooves one at a time for
longer lengths, especially on a CNC lathe.

I knurl on the CNC lathe (+ stepper controlled spindle) using a sharp grounded HSS pin or a Dremel and a V-bit. The knurls are made line by line. I can change the angle, pitch and knurl depth to make different patterns but I always use the same setup: 45°, 1.4 mm pitch, 0.15 mm cd. It is slower than using a knurling tool but the result is predictable and always OK on any diameter. Knurling steel, brass, aluminium, delrin, nylon, teflon, UHMPE, etc is no problem.

You could also do a left and right hand (multi start) thread on a manual lathe if you don't care about how it looks.

Back