Knurling tool/process question

Head over to youtube and have alook. Lots of vids on knurling a tapered surface, although I didn't see anything with that particular handle shape (ie: the swell).

Head over to youtube and have alook. Lots of vids on knurling a tapered surface, although I didn't see anything with that particular handle shape (ie: the swell).
Thanks, yes, been there, not seen any knurling done on such a shape.

Is it possible that it was hand engraved?
Hand cut files are available so it doesn't a stretch to hand do the checkering.
Thanks for the reply!
The photo of the dagger on the Thompson appears to be hand cut. The 1st photo, with the overlapping knurls, would appear to be done on a machine - to me, but I don't know anything....

check out the "straightline" machine that Chris with Clickspring has. Not sure if it could work on the rounded surface but it is an amazingly complex device that might be able to do something like this.

check out the "straightline" machine that Chris with Clickspring has. Not sure if it could work on the rounded surface but it is an amazingly complex device that might be able to do something like this.
Will do. thanks!! **Edit- Just watched part of a video on the straightline machine. Fantastic machine, looking forward to finishing the video

Last edited:
And down the rabbit hole he goes.

Straight line machines and ornamental lathes are a trip….

John

And down the rabbit hole he goes.

Straight line machines and ornamental lathes are a trip….

John
Yes, sure appears so. I found that I'd watched one Clickspring video before. Think I was a bit intimidated by it, and not watched any others until now. lol

Back