Kohler 241S- Removing Crankshaft

racecar builder

Registered
Registered
small engineers

how do i get crankshaft out?

yes, as i matter of fact i do own a fine shop manual for it!:)

can i hear it in regular words?

Have A Nice Day!

How to Remove Only the Crankshaft from a Kohler Engine -
  1. crank.gifRemove the flywheel and anything that's on the PTO end of the crankshaft.
  2. Remove the cylinder head.
  3. Remove the oil pan.
  4. Remove the piston/connecting rod assembly from the engine block.
  5. Remove the bearing plate.
  6. Finally, being very gentle, bump the PTO end of the crankshaft with a large brass head hammer or a large hammer and wooden block to remove it from the engine block.
  7. And if an engine originally came with balance gears, there's no need to reinstall them. They serve very little purpose and they may break, possibly destroying the engine block:biggrin:mac

crank.gif

crank.gif

woody

#5 question.

bearing plate. do you mean the big aluminum casting?

if so, how do you 'remove it'?

seems on there pretty good!

Have A Nice Day!

kohler1.jpg

yes it is on there pretty good, what i do i take my bolts out then i get a thin putty knife and a small hammer, i use the putty knife like a wedge pecking it into where the bearing plate meets the block, do this lightly untill it starts seperating then work your self around the block where the meet:biggrin:mac

irish

how do i 'fix' intake or exhaust valve compression release?

make it work like regular valve.

Have A Nice Day!

i am not for sure on that question, since you are modding this engine you may be getting above my expertise lol:biggrin:mac

i am not for sure on that question, since you are modding this engine you may be getting above my expertise lol:biggrin:mac
after reading some on this if you do this you might not be able to crank it to good by hand and it will prob put a big draw on your electric starter if it has one mac

irish

you leave that to li'l ole me!:)

it's like a Funny Car & Top Fuel starter.

it's on a bracket that fits on lugs.

you put it on and start that old Kohler then

when it fires you pull it off.

Have A Nice Day!

irish

another way to look at it is:

you get a car starter that'll 'do the deed'.

build a bracket to 'quick fit' it on Kohler.

hook it up with cables and a battery on a dolly.

use it to start 'high compression' Kohler.

then pull it off after it starts.

saves weight too!:)

Have A Nice Day!

i understand that but if you get kick back you could bend a valve, just my way of thinking, on mine i use a starter genereter and use a small car battery but if your engine has a ringgear just use a reg kohler starter they are small and the winding will take 12 volts with no problems, if it dont have a ring gear you can get them off ebay for about 20.00, starters are about 20 for the small ones:biggrin:mac

Back