Kool Mist 77

springer

Active User
Registered
Bout to order a gallon of this to set up flood coolant on my new PM12x36 and year old PM-932. Any reason not to or does someone want to talk me out of it??

More concerned about coolant choice vs running flood coolant. I have already decided I want to try it out, but unsure on coolant.

Thanks

Check out Keith Fenner from turn Wright on you tube, he uses a pretty decent coolant on his horizontal mill, it's an aqua color but can't think of the name

Also you might be better suited to ask this question on practical machinist where there is a ton of guys using flood coolant in harsh environment setting, possibly more knowledgeable than us hobby guys

ahh, good call. i love his vids. happen to know a specific video that he actually mentions what the coolant is? i'll start looking now

I dont, but the my go to bar video series shows the coolant in use

Here is his phone number 5083940724
Call em tomorrow and ask

That's what I use and like it. Mix 2/3 cup per gallon of water to keep rust down. I found that 1/2 cup per gallon like the directions say would start to rust.
Dave

The way I read the directions is 4-6 oz per gal , the only rust I've seen is on chips left behind. I was using 5oz in gal , and a mist nozzle that may be too large.
Derrick

i see it on amazone for $33 plus $13 shipping. is that the best place to get it? my local fastenal didn't have much of anything in the way of coolant.

Buy it from Enco. They have frequent free shipping and percent off coupons. I think I paid something like $22 per gallon last time delivered.
Dave

I've been using Cool Mist systems in my shop for many years. Good stuff, I like it, if it is mixed correctly. The drawbacks to Cool Mist is, it will stain your tooling if you don't clean up afterwards. I haven't had any problem with rust, except for rust on shavings. Again, you must clean up after usage. This is where a good shop vac can be of big help. Dad used to recycle the Cool Mist coolant as it collected in the trough of the machine tables. Don't do it! You can't get it clean enough to run back thru the unit without clogging the unit up. The last issue, is over time, the spray mist unit becomes clogged up from small bits of corrosion that form inside the unit. The corrosion that I see is probably more of a calcuim/line buildup than anything else. I do prefer spray mist over using flood coolant in my shop. What it amounts to, if you use your machines daily with a lot of machining, flood coolant is probably the way to go. If your machines stay idle for short periods time like mine do, go with spray mist. I only use spray mist on the mill. Very seldom do I use it on the lathe.

Back