Lagun ftv 2

Stude48

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased an ftv2 lagun that was in a plastic prototype shop. but it has all of the cnc control motors missing, the story I got was rats got in the panel on the machine. did what the do. damaged the electronics with the cnc. the last guy stripped out the parts lost interest. unfortunately they were discarded now way to diagnose the problem. so I am looking for advise as to a cost-effective solution to get the machine back online. I would like to refit for cnc use, as I already have a manual bridgeport with dro.

There are "Bolt on" CNC conversion kits available like Centroid but they can be pricy. Motion control boards available that work with stepper or servo motors and Mach 3 or 4 software, which will run on a PC. You might have to fabricate custom mounts for the motors etc. But that's probably the lower cost approach.
Post pictures please!

Please post pictures of what you have.

You have a blank canvas there. Many options, and it's possible to go cheap or make a really nice industrial class machine. Just depends on your budget.

My personal favorite is
AC servos, SureServo2 (Delta) from Automation Direct
Galil DMC-40x0 series motion controller, used from ebay, or new from Galil Motion Control
My own DC_CNC software, free, and a growing list of satisfied users.

On the low end
Cheap NEMA 34 stepper motors & drives, from eBay or Amazon
Mach3 software, from Artsoft. Most likely over a million users.

@Stude48

When I read your first post in the thread I was thinking that the first guy I'd go to for that answer would be @JimDawson.
Luckily he saw it too and responded.

Whatever path you choose, I would recommend you bounce it off him (hopefully in this thread for us all to see and learn) for a comparison of the strengths and draw-back of any particular approach.

Brian

Back