Lame attempt at making indexing chuck

Mine has 48 indents, good or bad or so so? I'm assuming that's 7.5 degrees.

Started on my mount and got frustrated with my mill, I'm so ready for a Bridgeport or something of that size & quality

Hey Charley
I havnt pounded the #s , but you have a usable prime # there. With the 48 hole index, you will have common divisions that you would normally use. Tomorrow is another day, maybe the mill will cooperate tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips Gordon

That would certainly work on a 10 degree spaced plate, and Im sure depending on diameter of the plate, could be very usefull item to add on. The 36 hole plate in his pic looks big enough, that if he wanted to, he could allways make it into a 72 hole plate. The idea you have could work on many other diameters though.

For Charley,s 48 hole setup he will have all the divisions of the 24 hole , and then some. Ive often wondered how much trouble a vernier scale would be to make it even more versatile. I have allso read about a 2-plate vernier, but cant find anything about them. Just thinking out load ;)

Etard, I have been thinking about using a gear/sprocket in the same manor, just couldn't find one I could use at the scrap yard. Never really thought about the split one though.

Hey Guys

For most of you that have non gear head machines, you might want to have a look in the end gear train. Many times there is usable tooth counts on the gears.
I used to use the end gears on my old 12X37 lathe for many dividing tasks. On my 41 Sidney, its a gear head machine, and I dont really have that option any longer. The only way for me on this lathe, is idexing either from the chucks adapter plate, or using the expanding spindle arbour as in the pics.

The plunger assembly can be done in such a way, that it could engage the tip of the gear, and also the root of the gear to further expand dividing capabilitys. My old 12X37 had the detent set up mounted behind the end gearing cover, and to use it was quick and easy. Open the cover door, loosen one bolt to ajust position, and lock in the starting point.

Just thought Id mention this, because many dont realize that the gears in the LH end train, many times have all thats needed to do simple dividing in the lathe, The user just needs to find a crafty way of holding these positions.

Gordon
Will be interested to hear what your idea is.
The only other thing Ive thought of is, cutting V notches at low depth. I figured I could get more room on any given diameter, but never tried that method.

Ill be watching for you next idea ;)

I dont know why I cant open those type of files, but I guess Im not going to see this one. Anyone able to repost this directly?

I dont know why I cant open those type of files, but I guess Im not going to see this one. Anyone able to repost this directly?

On it! Here you go...

Little small but readable,

-Ron

Last edited:
Ron
Thanks for getting that reposted.
Im going to have to figure out why I cant open them. Blowing it up isnt a problem, so Ill be checking it out. If Gordon posts up any more on this topic, could you repost it again for me? Thanks again Ron

Back