Laminating material

I was asking only because I have a very large piece of ground stainless down here , you could make 5 or so out of it . Sell it for scrap price . Too heavy to ship , but you're not far away . ;)

You can ship up to 75lbs.... :)

You can ship up to 75lbs.... :)
Yes . This was going your way , remember ? This is closer to 90 lbs . :grin: I don't have a saw to cut it .

With compressive forces the concern what would happen if you JB weld 5 or 6 pieces together? would definitely be easier if the surfaces are flat and free of occlusions. I did the solid toolpost on the carriage but took it off cause I didn't see a difference.
Biggest difference for me was proper insert or HSS profile, speeds and feeds ,and minimal tool overhang.
Also replaced the PM toolpost with a DTM and except for the smoothness and superb fit and finish on the DTM didn't see a diiference on the actual machining on the lathe.Lathe is a PM 1340gt which I balanced and added 600 to 700 pounds to the base.
I also have a PM-1340GT with a Dorian QCTP and would like to hear more. Can you please say more on what you tested? Do you have pictures? What does your lathe base looks like?

A solid tool post sounds interesting but in my opinion (and very little experience) you lose a lot of the flexibility for using the cutting tools holders in different angles to get into tight spots and you lose the compound that is useful for tapers.

My (little) experience also showed me that proper insert tools selection make a big difference. The most important one is to not be afraid to use grounded inserts (i.e. CCGT) that are typically sold for aluminium for taking light final cuts on steel or stainless steel. Use CCMT and zero cutting angle tools for aggressive cutting. I read the same sentiment from many other H-M members.

Ariel

The solid plinth with a QCTP on my 9x20 performs way better than the top slide.
It takes about 3 mins to replace the topslide when I need it for that one job so I dont see that as a problem.
Most of my tools are HSS with a few braised carbide.
I would tin the surfaces and heat to fuse in my furnace with a propane burner.
I say go for it as the actual cost is minimal although time may be a constraint.

?? I assume you mean you dynamically balanced the spindle. I don't know how, what's the trick?
1340 gt spindle is fine( less than .0001 runout, less than .00005 near as I can tell using a federal 5 hundred thous. DTI).
Static balanced the pulley on the motor shaft and pulley on the spindle end. Bought a cogged belt direct from gates.

To test vibration I put a dial indicator on a tripod separate from the lathe. Then put the di against the head of the lathe(slightly above the gearbox).
I was getting about .003" of movement when the lathe ran between 650 and 750 rpm.After balancing and a new belt (being careful not to install the belt to tight) the dial indicator was moving less than .001 at all speeds-from 50 to 2200 rpm.

Back