Laptop recommendation

I have a small version 10" I think, I don't use it much anymore. When I was still working and having to stay out of town I would take it with me for something to do at night.

That's what I was afraid of.

It's been a couple years now, I think. I replaced the hard drive with an SSD and that improved things a lot.
Running a SSD is usually the best way to speed up an old computer for most users. If you already have a SSD you are much better off than having a mechanical hard drive.

So, maybe I have something else wrong. Even now the with Microsoft Outlook open, Microsoft Edge and Oh Geeze 12 tabs open the fan is running and it pretty warm. So, when I go to Task Manager it says there are 48 instances of Edge running and using up 61% of the memory.
That doesn't sound very healthy! My gut feeling is a fresh OS reload would probably help considerably. If your Windows 10 install is from a Windows 7 or Windows 8 upgrade a fresh (non-upgrade) install would have even more potential to unleash the speed of your current system.

If you put your laptop to sleep then resume the session later this can also have a pretty devastating affect on Windows performance. Shutting your laptop down at the end of the day and starting with a fresh boot every morning can often work wonders for speed issues.

Maybe I should try a different browser and/or not have so many tabs open. hum
Chrome, Firefox or Brave are certainly worth trying.

I have reloaded my Windows workstations every year to two years for the past couple of decades. I know it is a pain but I would encourage you to give this a try if you are up to it. Windows is not a very clean OS like Linux and the other UNIX variants are. I always take the time to try to not install as many Microsoft junk applications during a fresh install. After reloading I spend a lot of time disabling unneeded services like One Note, Cortana and a such. When installing new software I always disable automated software feedback functions and auto updating functions. All these just sit in the background and slow your system down. The vast majority of Windows slowness issues I see are just due to the OS getting dirty and bloated with a bunch of unintended background apps eating away at machine resources.

I don't have any experience with Fusion 360. Maybe a graphics card would help... I am not the right person to say either way. I do see a lot of casual and business users spend big bucks on Laptops with fancy graphics cards that are a complete waste of money for the vast majority of them. The high end GPU power really isn't doing anything for them besides burn up the battery power faster and add extra heat to the laptop when it is running. A quick Google search leads me to believe that a high end GPU isn't going to help Fusion 360 much: https://webwut.com/graphics-card-fusion-360/ but like I said I am no expert.

Last edited:
So, I was just checking out an Asus laptop on Amazon seemed pretty cheap. I don't understand the processor speeds of what I should looking for. Compared to what I have.

This is what the specs say on the Asus:
  • Equipped With The Powerful and Fast 10th Gen Intel Quad-Core i7-1065G7 (Base Clock 1.3GHz, Max Boost Clock Up to 3.9GHz, 8MB Smart Cache, 8 Threads) It also comes with 40 GB RAM.

And here is the specs from mine.
  • Intel Core i7-4700MQ @2.40GHz with 8 GB RAM running Windows 10 Home.
So, if I am comparing processors, what do I look for?

I'm thinking I might just upgrade the memory on my computer as @Forty Niner mentioned. And reload Windows as @MikeInOr recommended. The best I can tell I am only able to upgrade to 16 GB as this computer uses DDR3 memory but that would be double what I have now.

Asus... forgot that one... I built my desktop home machine with all Asus components and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX video card. I have heard good things about their notebooks.

Different (and faster) processor. 40Gig of memory is great. 2TB SSD awesome. But I do not know anything about that Graphics (GPU) card... any graphic intensive application requires a good graphics card with as much memory in the card as possible.

For example, my son's computer, for gaming, has 16Gig of memory just in the Graphics card...

So everything else looks great... but that graphics card man... I am just so satisfied with NVidia... I am bias on this since everyone at home uses software that is GPU intensive... be that design, rendering, Gaming with VRs, etc.

But back to your question. Looks like a great machine. And it will be faster than what you have now...

So, I was just checking out an Asus laptop on Amazon seemed pretty cheap. I don't understand the processor speeds of what I should looking for. Compared to what I have.

• Equipped With The Powerful and Fast 10th Gen Intel Quad-Core i7-1065G7 (Base Clock 1.3GHz, Max Boost Clock Up to 3.9GHz, 8MB Smart Cache, 8 Threads) It also comes with 40 GB RAM.

And here is the specs from mine.
  • Intel Core i7-4700MQ @2.40GHz with 8 GB RAM running Windows 10 Home.
So, if I am comparing processors, what do I look for?

I'm thinking I might just upgrade the memory on my computer as @Forty Niner mentioned. And reload Windows as @MikeInOr recommended. The best I can tell I am only able to upgrade to 16 GB as this computer uses DDR3 memory but that would be double what I have now.

There are so many CPU's available these days I always have to use one of the online tool to compare them. Here are a couple:

As far as RAW processor speed goes there isn't a massive difference between the CPU's even though your current CPU was released in 2013 and the i7-1065G7 was released in 2019. What does look to be a very significant improvement is the electrical power the cpu's consume, 45w for your current CPU vs 15w for the i7-1065G7. So the battery on the new laptop should last considerably longer and the laptop should run considerably cooler.

Both CPU's use on chip GPU's. The I7-1065G7 is going to have a considerably newer graphics and more powerful processor but I am a little doubtful if that is going to buy you much for your reported usage.

From the CPU specs alone I don't expect to see a huge leap in performance.

There are so many CPU's available these days I always have to use one of the online tool to compare them. Here are a couple:

As far as RAW processor speed goes there isn't a massive difference between the CPU's even though your current CPU was released in 2013 and the i7-1065G7 was released in 2019. What does look to be a very significant improvement is the electrical power the cpu's consume, 45w for your current CPU vs 15w for the i7-1065G7. So the battery on the new laptop should last considerably longer and the laptop should run considerably cooler.

Both CPU's use on chip GPU's. The I7-1065G7 is going to have a considerably newer graphics and more powerful processor but I am a little doubtful if that is going to buy you much for your reported usage.

Just be aware that if he stays with his 4700, he will not be able to upgrade to Windows 11... That is what I am going through with my desktop build... at the time (many, many moons ago)... I used what was then the top of the line... an Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor matched to 32Gig of RAM. That processor... along with the 4700 is not supported for Windows 11....

This is a really nice looking laptop with many nice up to date features but I still don't expect to a huge performance increase for your applications. 40GB of RAM should be more than you will ever need in the immediate future. The GPU integrated on the I7 is going to be considerably faster but I don't think that you are going to see much REAL improvement there. The 2TB SSD is going to be a NVMe SSD which is not limited by the speed of the SATA interface so disk speed should be somewhat noticeable faster. I would expect faster boot times, faster application loading but once everything is loaded I don't believe there is going to be a night and day difference for Outlook, Office and Fusion 360. I could be wrong and if someone would like to share a counter opinion please feel free.

2022-06-23_093411.jpg

Just be aware that if he stays with his 4700, he will not be able to upgrade to Windows 11... That is what I am going through with my desktop build... at the time (many, many moons ago)... I used what was then the top of the line... an Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor matched to 32Gig of RAM. That processor... along with the 4700 is not supported for Windows 11....

Very good point. I had to upgrade the motherboard / cpu in my workstation to run Windows 11 which I need for work. I don't know the windows 11 requirements off the top of my head but I will take your word that his old processor won't support it.

What do you guys think about just upgrading the memory in my machine to 16 GB? Is that going to buy me anything worthwhile? I do know I can't upgrade to Windows 11 with my current setup. Maybe I should just forget the memory upgrade and keep looking for a laptop.

I'm plenty happy with the speed of this one for the most part. There are two thing it doesn't like, Google Earth and Fusion 360. It does work with Fusion 360 pretty good for a while, but I can tell right off that it is struggling as the fan starts running shortly after starting Fusion 360, then if I get a couple of drawings open before long it slows down.

I would not bother with spending anything else on that one... Something like the one you shared from Amazon should serve you well...

I'm plenty happy with the speed of this one for the most part. There are two thing it doesn't like, Google Earth and Fusion 360. It does work with Fusion 360 pretty good for a while, but I can tell right off that it is struggling as the fan starts running shortly after starting Fusion 360, then if I get a couple of drawings open before long it slows down.

A memory upgrade might solve your problem. My desktop, Dell Core i7, had 8 gig of memory and I was having some issues with Fusion, I upgraded to 16 gig and pretty much solved the problem. What seems to slow things down is when you use up all the memory and it starts swapping with the HD. The graphics card does not seem to have much effect on Fusion performance, I run a Nvidia GeForce GT 730, not really much of a graphics card in today's world.

Back