Large work on a Bridgeport

That has chatter written all over it.
I've used the rotary table to machine some big radius, had to cut down this 24 inch sheave. Worked well, nice finish even. The DC gear motor was salvage from a blue print machine. This is an 8 inch rotary table.

IMGP1673.jpg

IMGP1674.jpg

Greg

Holy crap!

At minimum, it will sing unbearably. Next most likely is spin the shank in the collet. If R8 shank, possibly shear the key.
Lock the quill and feed with the knee. If neither fit nor finish are important, you MIGHT get away with it. Otherwise, the likelihood of desirable outcome is very low.

I just trepanned an 8 in. circle on a BP clone.

WP_20200207_16_23_50_Pro.jpg

It was agonizingly slow, chattered like crazy and the tool grabbed frequently, stalling the mill or spinning in the collet.
YMMV

Last edited:
Thanks. I am leaning away from using this setup and trying the rotary table option instead. I'll need to make an adapter plate, but that's not a big deal. It just doesn't feel good to me.

Thanks. I am leaning away from using this setup and trying the rotary table option instead. I'll need to make an adapter plate, but that's not a big deal. It just doesn't feel good to me.

Since you have the rotary table option, that is definitely the way to go.

Well, I decided it was already set up, so I'd try to carefully see how a skim cut went. It went surprisingly well. I remembered that the mill has reverse on the power feed, so I used that to run it. I took 0.025" off the diameter in 3 passes. VFD turned down to 40hz.

View attachment VID_20200215_163308.mp4

IMG_MIX2S_20200215_171419-1160x870.jpg

This was my attempt at a ghetto micrometer. I guess it worked alright as it fits now and the mill is back together.

Wow! Very impressed!
Robert

Nice job and great idea on the " cheap inside mics " . :encourage:

Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'm still a little surprised at how well it went. I would prefer not to have that much tool stick out ever again.

Stupid cast iron dust. I remembered why I didn't want to work on more of it once I was cleaning up the mill table. Thankfully I remembered to cover the ways. Cleaned and lubed everything, trammed the head. I think it's ready for the next project. And I don't have to bend over to reach the controls now. :)

Back