Laser Engraving Project using 50 watt fiber laser.

sn8kboy

Registered
Registered
Hello Gang

I am starting to do a few projects using my new LaserStar 50 watt fiber laser. I have engraved my name and phone number on most of my tools but now I am starting to make some items on my laser that I could possibly sell to someone. Here is my first shot at making Challenge coin. I am in a Shelby Cobra car club which is why I decided to make these as my first laser project. They are made out of brass and I got the blank coins on Amazon. I have some bronze coins on order but had to go to another supplier cuz Amazon does not carry blank ones.

Paul

ShelbyCoin1.jpgShelbyCoin2.jpg

Wow, looks like you got some fantastic stock removal out of that bad boy. Have you sent one of the blank mystery import brass coins off to the lab to be analyzed for lead? It's cheap. Amazon has no responsibility to check for you. Lead exposure will give you headaches and make you lethargic and dizzy, but you might not put the two together. Ultimately, it will lower your IQ and neuromotor control from repeated exposure. Just looking out for you, man!

Wow, looks like you got some fantastic stock removal out of that bad boy. Have you sent one of the blank mystery import brass coins off to the lab to be analyzed for lead? It's cheap. Amazon has no responsibility to check for you. Lead exposure will give you headaches and make you lethargic and dizzy, but you might not put the two together. Ultimately, it will lower your IQ and neuromotor control from repeated exposure. Just looking out for you, man!
Wow I did not know that lead could sneak its way into a brass coin. I will have to look into that. The amount I removed was .300mm and there is brass dust all over the place on the aluminum plate I have it mounted on. Just checked Amazon where I purchased it and it is saying quote.
  • Made of high quality premium brass. Solid brass, not plated.
But who knows how much high quality premium lead is included LOL! Where would I send it out to be tested?

Paul

Last edited:
Wow I did not know that lead could sneak its way into a brass coin. I will have to look into that. The amount I removed was .300mm and there is brass dust all over the place on the aluminum plate I have it mounted on. Just checked Amazon where I purchased it and it is saying quote.
  • Made of high quality premium brass. Solid brass, not plated.
But who knows how much high quality premium lead is included LOL! Where would I send it out to be tested?

Paul
Local college with a materials lab or local health department may do it for free; a commercial lab will charge you $$

Here is a picture of the brass powder left over from the job.

Attachments

• brasspowder.jpg
    brasspowder.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 14
Leaded brass is a fairly common thing.

Do you think that laser could cut parts out of .010 thick spring steel?

Leaded brass is a fairly common thing.

Do you think that laser could cut parts out of .010 thick spring steel?
Yes I think it would have no problem cutting through that thickness of spring steel.

OK - now I am getting curious, and seeking some fact about what happens when one is using high power lasers to ablate metal.
I have seen a list of various brasses. There were more than 50 types in various alloys.

The first obvious thing is that all the metals used in brass are extremely toxic when in finely divided form, or in solution. Zinc, copper, tin, lead, arsenic, aluminium, manganese. Basic brass (bullet cartridges) are 30% zinc, and 70% copper. Free machining brass has 3% lead.

So when the laser hits the metal, where does it go? Is it vaporized? I am not sure what kind of mask would stop it being breathed in.
It is good to see that at least some, hopefully most, of the removed brass ends up as powder around the job. Would that be re-condensed brass, or "sputterings"? I would treat that dust with respect. It looks like an extremely poisonous powder that can end up in the body.
Here, I am entirely with @pontiac428. What he said about lead is true also for other metals. We can add dementia and painful neuralgia. Copper is so toxic that microbes on brass pull-bars on doors only survive for a few minutes!

The coin badges that @sn8kboy made are just fantastic!
Paul, maybe you can let us in on some of the stuff you have to watch out for, (I mean aside from not getting exposed to a 50W laser )
:)

Yes, the dust is aerosol fume that has coalesced out. You can get laser-certified materials from the supply house. We expect new materials to be copper/tin, but when it comes to Chinese or Indian supply, the only guarantee is they started in a melt pot. They pay kids a penny for every ten pounds of scrap they collect for the pot, it's not a union mill. I have seen the gov't make big investments only to find the materials used originated in China and were full of lead when tested. There is no border inspector tirelessly working to ensure imports don't have hazmat, that type overwatch is mythical. You are the only person who is truly looking after your health.

Back