Last Word Indicator Repair - Who?

Over the years I've found it usually isn't cost effective to have any measuring tool repaired unless it's nearly new. In the past I've checked out having dial calipers, dial indicators, micrometers, and test indicators repaired. If the tool was more than 10 years old it usually costs more to repair it than it originally cost new. Not only that the repair cost is generally close to 75% of the cost of buying a new one. Do you really want to spend 75% of the cost of a new test indicator to have it repaired? For the extra few dollars you can get a brand-new tool, in the case that has a 1 year or longer guarantee.

It's interesting in that the sticky one is the newer of the two. I have the invoice for it from 1964. The other one that suffers from the yellow crystal is even older - probably 1940 / 50 vintage (slant back body)

Over the years I've found it usually isn't cost effective to have any measuring tool repaired unless it's nearly new. In the past I've checked out having dial calipers, dial indicators, micrometers, and test indicators repaired. If the tool was more than 10 years old it usually costs more to repair it than it originally cost new. Not only that the repair cost is generally close to 75% of the cost of buying a new one. Do you really want to spend 75% of the cost of a new test indicator to have it repaired? For the extra few dollars you can get a brand-new tool, in the case that has a 1 year or longer guarantee.
maybe. A good repair is like getting a new indicator, that has been TOTALLY checked out and has had that personal inspection. Sometimes better than a manufacturing process.

maybe. A good repair is like getting a new indicator, that has been TOTALLY checked out and has had that personal inspection. Sometimes better than a manufacturing process.
To some extent the repaired tool may be like new. I would think a competent repair shop would make sure it operated as good as or better than new. However, if there are cosmetic problems like stains, scratches, dings, or other non-operational issues they might be difficult or impossible to repair. I have a set of Mit dial calipers that someone borrowed without my knowledge and apparently got too close to close to an end mill. Both jaws have a gouge in them. When I looked into getting them repaired, I got laughed at. The only repair that could be made was to replace both the stationary and moveable jaws. It would have cost more than to replace the entire unit.

On another note/question - does anyone know the part numbers from Starrett (their website is awful) for the replacement crystal and bezel that is the upgrade from having to use the thin wire clip inside the old style bezel?

Hmm. Usually he is pretty responsive. I wonder if your emails went to his spam folder? I may have his phone number. I will check.

I pinged him from my work email (gov't) - maybe he got freaked out LOL - I'll try him from a different email addy.

yes to the mineral spirits, no to alcohol. The MS should be blown out with a spray of gentle air, but alcohol will make the ferrous metal rust. the ms is an oily solvent which will not do that. Blowing the MS out leaves but the finest amount of residue.
From discussions a few years ago with “my guy” at Starrett, any oil on the jewel is not good (and 91% IPA is ok; they don’t recommend denatured/methanol).

Back