[4]

Lathe and Mill/Drill

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Scra99tch

Registered
Just picked these up. Apparently they were bought in 1986 and never used, there were a few chips on the tray but according to the story they had been sitting in a garage after purchase and just never used. A lot of the cosmoline was still on the ways and attachments.

I got the for 425$ each and the lathe has everything, 4 jaw, three jaw, 5c, face plate, drill chucks, centers cutters. The mill has an indexing head, cutters, R8 collets, crap vices.
I just have not found anything about the lathe both are labeled Central Machinery the lathe is F1-900G the Mill is a 590.

Is there any difference in mid 80's chinese/taiwan build/iron quality than todays imports?

image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image5.jpeg image6.jpeg

francist

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Hey, nice catch! NOS mill/drill and lathe -- how often does that happen. I think you stand a little bit better chance of things being put together properly, and maybe some nicer castings too. Still won't compare to old US iron, but then again not much does. I think you'll be happy once you get them up and running.

-frank

Radials

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Wow that's a score! Particularly that lathe. Just some food for thought here as I too also scored a milling machine of roughly 1990 vintage that looks like it was never used either. It was the floor model in a machinery sellers show room its whole life until I purchased it off ebay. The grease in every bearing was deteriorated and almost like clay. Had I put power to the machine right from the get go I would have trashed the spindle bearings. I was able to clean and repack most of the bearings and in the cases of the smaller diameter sealed ones I just replaced them altogether.

I also purchased a lathe last year that hadn't been used in 16 years which had very marginal grease in the spindle bearings. Its been in restoration as well and I'm already wishing I bought something larger.

Your lathe looks very similar to the Whole Sale tool precision bench lathe. I would have jumped at that lathe in a heartbeat if I saw it as well. Great score.

Buffalo21

I have that exact mill/drill, including the manual

edit mines a 981

Scra99tch

Registered
CZ300 seems like the right model just a variation of some companies knockoff.

Scra99tch

Registered
So I drained the oil for the bearings through the sight glass. Back one looked good but old, front oil had quite a bit of metal in it. Thinking some casting sand probably done a number on the bearings.

thomas s

Active User
Wow yes that was a good deal. Enjoy your new toys.

NCjeeper

Nice score.

Latinrascalrg1

Registered
Wow Nice Score! I would have been all over that sale at those prices even if i had to borrow the money to do so! I would think the machines from Taiwan would be better quality then China even during the 80s.

Last edited:

Scra99tch

Registered
Just have to find replacement bearing for front. Even though new something got chewed up.

Anyone have any leads or should I just bite the bullet and go to an self dealer to avoid fakes?

Downwindtracker2

Active User
Registered
The bearing on my lathe, another lathe from that era made in Taiwan , were just standard off the shelf Timken style. I had to change the seals and the belts, so I did the bearings too. I went to a bearing dealer and bought quality components. With that design, bearing clearance is taken up at the back end. Before I started, I was afraid I'ld have to buy expensive ABEC-7 class bearings, but I didn't. If they had used bearing of that class, the lathe would have been too expensive for their market. I had 1/10 thou before I started and I had 1/10 thou after I finished. You should have a 1/10 thou indicator and a 2x4. There are number of posting on changing belts , I think their title is "Why no one changes belts" chuckle. The belts are Taiwanese brand First Rope, they are not accurately marked for size, so you will have to take them along as well. Don't buy made in China Jayco belts, buy the good American made Dayco.

Great score.

Last edited:

NoobCanuk

Dang, that's quite a find. Gratz.

[6]
[5] [7]