Lathe belt change questions

thebeebe5

Registered
Registered
So, this weekend the lathe belt that the motor runs to turn the other belt to the pulleys on the spindle started to disintegrate. I’ve tried to look up the proper names for the parts, but the diagrams that I find confuse me. They’re all expanded and I get the parts mixed up in my head…. At any rate, I’ve enclosed pictures to make it obvious.
It starting to come apart while I was working and I noticed the motor bouncing a bit and saw the result in the finish of my work. Now, my lathe work is 99% artistic so it’s not a big deal, but I still don’t want it there.
Looking at the lathe I’m not sure how to take that pulley set off to replace the belt. My question is, should I figure out how to disassemble it and replace it with a proper belt, or can I install a link belt as has already been installed on this lathe (in the horizontal position)by someone in the past?

The lathe brand is “Vico” made in 1980 in Taiwan, and no one seems to have ever heard of it. It has been decided that it is very similar to a Jet model 1024, and I do have owners manuals for a Jet 1024 and they are indeed similar. There are no instructions for disassembly or belt replacement though…

Attachments

• 78D5142A-A42B-40C0-9A6E-D9DAFA36635F.jpeg
    78D5142A-A42B-40C0-9A6E-D9DAFA36635F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • 7692B225-7CA1-474C-8B23-59A4703AACE8.jpeg
    7692B225-7CA1-474C-8B23-59A4703AACE8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
Normally you would loosen the motor mount and slip the belt off, then for the upper pulleys you need to disconnect the pulley assembly from the adjuster mechanism, there may be circlips to pop off on one side or the other, maybe cotter pins- it varies with machine. A closer view will probably give a clue
-Mark

Last edited:
I’ll try to have a look today. It’s all covered with aerosolized belt dust. I tried to vacuum it clean, but it will take more effort to see clearly.
is a link belt a less-than-best option then?

Link belts are said to run smoother than regular vee belts, but are more expensive. You should be able to find a replacement vee belt at a bearing house or auto parts or hardware store.

Oh, nice. Good info.
Bearing, Belt and Chain here in Phoenix can probably help me out today then.

I would recommend a cogged V-belt. They tend to last longer, run cooler and be quieter when used on small diameter sheaves. For instance, if your belt size were a B-56, buy a BX-56.

Ted

I like : https://texasbelting.com/ . Good prices, reasonable shipping cost and they contact gates belt to send fresh belts direct. Replaced the gates belt I bought on ebay with a new fresh belt and it was like night and day for smoothness. Exact same belt but one was too old and set.

That worn belt is incredibly loose looking, have you ever adjusted it for tension?

also if you look at that picture looks like that belt may have been long to begin with as the motor seems to be adjusted down almost as far as it will go. Looks like it could use a bit shorter belt. That link belt looks long also.

That worn belt is incredibly loose looking, have you ever adjusted it for tension?
Tension was released in this photo. I wouldn’t be surprised if it came with the lathe. When I first got the lathe I remember how loud I though it was. Then I realized it was the cloth cords hanging from the belt and whooshing as they spun around! LOL
Thought “I’ll be changing that before long”....

Back