Lathe chuck backstop

NC Rick

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi folks, my first post in this part of the site. My skills pale in comparison to what so many of you do but I thought I'd shar my mostly success. I have been trying to come up with a working design amd since I don't do cad, am not too creative or smart I have really struggled through the concepts and implementation. Anyhow, my second iteration here seems good with one problem due to poor planning.
8DBEA3C4-52D4-4F1F-A872-913ABFE70207.jpeg8F8AB9E7-6229-4E16-90E2-2646FA3F3F04.jpeg3885C713-5366-4F80-B205-7FA4FE8A09B4.jpeg

Interesting idea. I have one that threads through the spindle to accomplish the same thing (if I understand your concept properly) but I can see where this way might be useful too. Nice execution :encourage:

-frank

Interesting idea. I have one that threads through the spindle to accomplish the same thing (if I understand your concept properly) but I can see where this way might be useful too. Nice execution :encourage:

-frank
Thanks Frank! I had a simple through the spindle of my prior lathe (delta 10") but on this particular SouthBend, the back of the spindle to the nose of the chuck is a bit over 30" And I want something that can come in and out quickly and not be too cumbersome to use or store. My execution is a little off since I didn't draw it first. I kinda ran out of room for the clamping detail which while it works is not as good as I would have liked.

I like it Rick.
Is it held in place by the work piece?

Good eye David! I don't want it swimming around while I do setups so it has an internal wedging system which can be tightened by the S.H.C. Screw below one of the jaws. I barely had room for it. Some kind of a drawing or cad thingy would have exposed my failure prior to all the aluminum removal. It works but I would have preferred more thread depth. It works great!

Hi
Good idea, i like it, i will get round to making one.
Jeff from the UK
Jeff, reading your post, I couldn't help thinking of my friend and coworker Jeff Isherwood who was also from Manchester. Sadly, he has now passed but I am very happily reminded of him particularly along with the many wonderful people I have known in England. He is the person who in the 1970s introduced me to the delicious beer up in the north of England. Machining, electronics, motorbikes and philosophy were amongst is passion. I recall sitting with he and his wife for a meal of roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. I hope you and your country folk stay safe and I look forward to the day I can travel back there.

Late to the party, and just saw this one. Nice job Rick!

Nice! I've been looking for something to do the same thing. Do you have a picture with
the device out of the chuck?
Never mind I saw the details in you second picture.
olf20 / Bob

Last edited:
Nice! I've been looking for something to do the same thing. Do you have a picture with
the device out of the chuck?
Never mind I saw the details in you second picture.
olf20 / Bob
Bob,
that photo doesn't show the front actuated wedge holding the stop in place after installation.

I have been using it frequently, it was a worthwhile project for me.

Back