Lathe Chuck Lubrication

Nesse1

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My "new to me" Central Machinery (Tida built) TD-1236E lathe chuck won't close all the way, so I broke it down and cleaned and inspected everything. It doesn't strike me as a precision piece, but serviceable, and I didn't find any noticeable wear. So now it's time for assembly. A quick google search suggests Bison recommends grease in their chucks, but some people recommend a heavy oil. The machine manual doesn't say either way. What say you?

I usually defer to manufacturers recommendations, but personally, I don’t like the thought of grease on equipment that will be in a “chip heavy” environment.

I suppose if it’s for a set of scrolls that are sealed inside the chuck it’s not as much of an issue….

I’ve seen people go both ways. I used oil, but if you oil a chuck, 1000 RPM will allow you to experience that oil again. :)

I suspect it doesn’t matter much for hobbyist use cases if you service the chuck routinely, maybe annually.

Rick “who might use grease next time” Denney

I'd personally lean towards oil. Not way oil, but whatever standard ISO 46, 68, 100 you have kicking around for the rest of the machine(s). My reasoning is this- Grease (and way oil) will hold chips. But grease, which consists of oil and a binder material, has a lot more staying power. And the lubrication still comes from oil. But, you're gonna have to clean the chuck periodically as stuff will get in there even with no oil at all, so the actual use will kind of force it's own "oil change interval", which kind of negates the staying power of grease. So I go for the easy cleanup. Oil does stay in there a long time. If you put too much oil (or grease) in there, you'll wear any excess all over your shirt, but just enough to cover the parts is all you need, and it will stay put quite nicely.

Reactions: JRT
Bison recommends their special grease. Some of my chucks have the ball/cone lube fittings (Bison, Rohm). Grease in the scroll does grab the chips. Machinist buddy insists on no lube (it is a trade off, lube is good, but loading up with chips is bad). Robin Renzetti recently put out a video on truing a 6J chuck, then on the rebuild he was very particular (which he is about everything - in a good way) about sparing use of a Dow molybdenum disulphidelube.

Robin really thinks things through - his would be the most definitive answer, IMO.

Now in back, for the scroll and pinions, I go with grease.

Rule of thumb has always been if you can get at it easily lube with oil, if parts are hidden/inaccessible then use grease. In either case, use sparingly. RR’s use of a Molybdenum grease is perfect: you don’t needs much and the thin film won’t attract chips the way other grease will.

I would stick with the manufacturers recommendation unless you don't mind wearing the oil. The grease will stay in place longer. Over the years I've disassembled, cleaned and reassembled dozens of chucks. Even in a commercial situation they only have to be cleaned every 3 or 4 years with daily use. I have more than 1 shirt with a racing stripe where someone decided to use oil rather than grease when reassembling a chuck.

At the risk of seeming inexperienced ( I am), would it be plausible to coat the scrolls with a graphite spray that dries to lubricate the loaded surfaces, without the tendency to attract chips and whatnot?

Back