[Newbie] Lathe Chuck Question!

wheelyneil

Registered
Registered
Hello Forum

I was hoping someone could help me find where I could find a set of chuck jaws for a SUNNEN MB770. I bought a southbend9 cmodel a while back and it was in a box of spare tool that came with it. I backed the jaws out and one jaw had broken guides on it. here are a couple pictures , hope someone can send me in the right direction.

sunnen1.JPGsunnen 2.JPG

Take care
wheelyneil

sunnen1.JPG sunnen 2.JPG

That may be tough. Have you contacted Sunnen directly?

That may be tough. Have you contacted Sunnen directly?

Hello Tony
No I havent contacted them. I went to their web site but I could not find a reference to anything about this chuck. They seem to be big in HONING equipment and wasent sure if they even make this chuck anymore.

Thanks for posting!

Wheelyneil

Honing has been their thing for a long, long time. I wold kind of doubt they even manufactured that chuck themselves, so maybe they could tell you who made it and you could pursue that. But in any case, be prepared to pay dearly for them, and have to grind in every step on the new jaws. In my mind, it would be of questionable practicality.

Chasing down parts for that chuck probably isnt worth the effort. You could buy a new chinese chuck, and have money in your pocket. The offshore chucks are not the greatest, but aleast for the money, your starting fresh, and you know the history from day one. The chuck you have may have been crashed before you got it, and may not be worth spending money on.

Better yet, get a 4-jaw independant, and a cheap dial indicater to dail your work in.

I agree -- finding jaws for it will be next to impossible and as said, if found, would probably have fit issues.

I have 2 of the cheaper Chinese chucks and am actually quite surprised at them -- quite nice (from Shars)

Chasing down parts for that chuck probably isnt worth the effort. You could buy a new chinese chuck, and have money in your pocket. The offshore chucks are not the greatest, but aleast for the money, your starting fresh, and you know the history from day one. The chuck you have may have been crashed before you got it, and may not be worth spending money on.

Better yet, get a 4-jaw independant, and a cheap dial indicater to dail your work in.

Thank for the info! I am new to all of this and just starting to learn. I will take the advice and turn it into a boat anchor...:whiteflag:

Take care and thank both of you for your help!
Wheelyneil

Wheelyneil

Just dont want to see you spend money on a chuck that may not be worth the time. Pacer mentioned Shars as place to check for chucks.

But on a side note. Those dead chucks make great door stops, paper weights, and yes, it could be used as a boat anchor too, but prone to rust:rofl:

Lots of low buck chucks out there these days. Replacement jaws are allways to much money, and usually a replacement chuck is cheap enough, its the way to go.

Good luck, chuck hunting:))

Back